Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scratch build supplies?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Scratch build supplies?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 PM
boatfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch build supplies?

I want to scratch build a boat. I have drawn out the plans, but I'm having trouble finding supplies. The boat will be 36" long, I need some 1/8" plywood and 1/8 X 1/4 strip wood, hopefully in mahogany, that will run the length if it. Shorter pieces I can get from the local hobby store.

Can someone suggest a source for these materials?

Thank you
Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Scratch build supplies?

National Balsa http://www.nationalbalsa.com/ has plywood and sticks,although the sticks aren't mahogany.They're out of Maine so it's close and shipping shouldn't be bad to NY.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to try my version of plywood just because you cant find what you're looking for.

I just bought a roll of matched, ribbon-striped Sepele Mahogany for 20 dollars to the door and it came rolled in low grade birch veneer as a shipping protector, lots of it. A nice suprise because I can use that just as well also. It is the same quality but carries defects such as cracks or checks in the centers.

The veneer is 1/42" which is about .022" - .025" thick measuring the sheets.

I'm going to try gluing up using the cold press method which is contact cement and a roller. I'm still trying to find out if it is sandable.

Second method might be with balsa core and epoxy sandwiched up using plate glass or maybe fake marble cutoffs and wooden bench clamps. Vacuum bagging is an expensive setup but probably the best way to go. That is what is prefered when using a thicker substrate like regular plywood for a start.

The lot that I bought measures up at 12"x61" and I got 12 pieces. 33 square feet, it's plenty. I'll try laminating smaller sheets first and see what happens.

Look into [link=http://www.joewoodworker.com/articles.htm]this website[/link] if your thinking of using veneers.

The stripwood you can find also on ebay at a reasonable price at that size, but maybe not length and face might having to make a long splice with it like the airplane guys have to do sometimes with wing spars.

I found 1/8" square mahogany to replace the stringers with in a couple of my boat kits.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48659.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1338537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26172.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1338538   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28293.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1338539  
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
advanced builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go Did my shovel-nose in mahogany http://www.midwestproducts.com/index.asp