Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

got some engine questions about....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

got some engine questions about....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
R.J. West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got some engine questions about....

how to get a water jacket from my ops .21 & k&b .40 anodized. Does anyone out there know where one can go to have this done? How about getting the part chromed?

In addition, I have a small collection of k&b .40 marine cylinder & pistons / heads / water jackets laying around, is it possible toswap out the cylinder/pistons & cooling jacketsin a .40 airplane engine to make it for marine use?

Reason why I ask is because I have a bit of a collection of parts laying around and I could probably make several marine engines.

What I have arenew cases & front end's w/ new bearings from plane engines....and a bunch of .40 marine parts....
Thanks...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: got some engine questions about....

There are plenty of places to get parts anodized, possibly even locally. My wife has to deliver parts to an anodizer which I found out is about a mile away and would ano some parts for me if I need some done.
Warehouse Hobbies is one online company that I know of that does anodizing work for boats and there are probably many more.
One thing to think about. Years ago there was some testing done in RCBM to see what the effect was of anodized heads. They did testing of those heads and those without anodizing. The ones without ran much cooler even with part of the anodizing gone.

Chroming, almost the same stuff. Chroming needs a copper plating for it to stick to. The chemicals are toxic so that drives the price up.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 AM
R.J. West

Hi Ron,

What about the parts swapping I mentioned? I have some k&b parts laying around, is it possible to build marine engines by swapping out the cylinders sleeves & pistions with another k&b plane .40? & using the water jackets over the heads?

Thanks for the info on anodizing the parts....
Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

From what little experience that I have with K&B's, a lot of parts will interchange but in that size area they did several model changes where they did use different blocks and parts that could not be compatable.
For instance, their newer .45 marine can use plane .48 pistons and sleeves but illegal for racing as they're over maximum displacement.
One way to find out if the parts are interchangable is to try it.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
R.J. West

Thanks, yeah thats pretty much what i thought. All I know is that most of the parts are interchangable and that they made differences in bearing sizes in later models...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also the aircraft engines may have timeing differences but should still run ok.