Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

RC circuit board help

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC circuit board help

Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Guchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC circuit board help

Hi all

I'm a new member here and honestly am ignorant of all things electronics - although I've been building models (ships, aircraft and armour) for many years now.

In the past I've built small (1/600-1/700) scale motorized warships, but I'd like to R/C them now.

So I'm looking for a miniature r/c circuit that can perform the following functions
  1. Turn the rudder (port and starbord)
  2. Power the motors (2, 3 or 4) forward, stop and astern; and (if possible)
  3. Power-up one side of the motors and slow down the other side when the turn command is given.
And all this has to be on a circuit about 1" x 6" x 0.25"

Can anybody on this board build me such a circuit?

TIA

Guchi
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: RC circuit board help

Check out almost any 2.4GHz radio. 1 channel sorts out steering, the others do the speed control. Some sets allow mixing, and usually it all fully proportional. In small sizes liked you are considering, butchered servos make very good combined speed control/motors, you would want three. I have used standard size servos, but smaller types should convert just as well, the big problem is getting a reliable connection to the motor shaft of these small devices.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Guchi

"1 channel sorts out steering, the others do the speed control."
How many channels will I require for speed control?

"Some sets allow mixing, and usually it all fully proportional."
What is mixing? and what us fully proportional?

In small sizes liked you are considering, butchered servos make very good combined speed control/motors, you would want three."
What is a combined speed control/motor? How do butchered servos make combined speedcontrol/motors and why would I want three?

"the big problem is getting a reliable connection to the motor shaft of these small devices. "
What exactly do you mean by that?

I recently saw a small helicopter model that had a small circuit board that would allow port and starboard turns as well as increasing and decreasing the speed to either side of motors, including bringing them to a halt. The only thing it would not do (for a ship) is to go astern.

Can you "mfr02" design such a circuit board for me?

TIA
Guchi
Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Guchi

Hi all

I'm a new member here and honestly am ignorant of all things electronics - although I've been building models (ships, aircraft and armour) for many years now.

In the past I've built small (1/600-1/700) scale motorized warships, but I'd like to R/C them now.

So I'm looking for a miniature r/c circuit that can perform the following functions
  1. Turn the rudder (port and starbord)
  2. Power the motors (2, 3 or 4) forward, stop and astern; and (if possible)
  3. Power-up one side of the motors and slow down the other side when the turn command is given.
And all this has to be on a circuit about 1'' x 6'' x 0.25''

Can anybody on this board build me such a circuit?

TIA

Guchi
i think you can get all ur looking in a 4 channel radio, u don't need the curcuit board anymore..

Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Proportional. This means that for the ruder, you move the stick a little, the rudder moves a little, according to how much you move the stick. Most toy grade sets are either no movement, or the full travel. The same applies to speed control. You can control at all speeds rather than just stop or full speed. Some people with "proper" sets are unaware of this.
Mixing. This can be done with extra hardware in the boat, or in some cases, by the transmitter. In the hardware option, this is a circuit that fits between the receiver outputs for the channels to be mixed, and the ESCs and servos to be controlled. It takes (typically) the throttle and steering channels, and redisributes the signals to the ESCs to give the required steering.
Butchered servos. A servo consists of a case, a control board, a motor, a gearbox and a position sensor. The circuit board gets required position instructions from the receiver. It compares this with the position sensor, and drives the motor until the position sensor agrees with the instruction signal. As agreement gets closer, the motor slows down. This can be regarded as a set of components, requiring dis-assembly. This can be regarded as butchery. The motor, being designed to drive the servo gears, only has a short shaft. This can be awkward to connect to mechanically. If you are hoping to drive three shafts independently, you need three motors, and three controls.
I stopped building circuits several years ago, when it became necessary to use tweezers rather than pliers, and do the assembly looking through a powerful magnifying glass.
Looking on this forum, and RCGroups and Modelboatmayhem, you should find plenty of threads with useful information. Keywords to search for are "Small" and "Plastic". Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:08 AM
grael

I've done circuitboard design and software writing, even had my own business doing it for 4 years. I second what the others are saying, only I think you need a fancy 4 channel unit to TRY to do the job.
6 channels is much easier. I have a www.HobbyKing.com 6 channel set with the USB programmer, and it's a bit awkward to set up at first, but it can do all sorts of things. Rudder is dead simple, but it sounds like you want to mix rudder signal in to the motor channels, which I think you can do.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Guchi

Thank you all!