Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repair advice anyone??

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Repair advice anyone??

Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 AM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair advice anyone??

long story short.....plaining down the edges of my big swamp buggy, and somehow knocked it off the bench. Now I have to repair this punchure on one of the chines. not sure about the best way to go about it just yet. Hoping for some advice. Take a look, tring to upload a pic ...not sure if its there or not....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11714.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	1373534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12977.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	1373535  
Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Repair advice anyone??

I see four real options depending on your building experience:
1) IF you can get to the back side of the damaged area, epoxy in a backing doubler to hold the damaged area out and smooth it over on the exposed side with epoxy. Sand it smooth and finish as if nothing happend
2) Slightly harder, but a better repair in general would be to remove that part of the chine to the closest frames and, after installing glue blocks, install a new piece of skin. Make sure you coat all the wood on the inside with epoxy and fair the outside with epoxy, sand and finish
3) The hardest repair would be to remove the bottom of the boat and replace the whole chine. This would be your best repair as you wouldnt' have to worry about the seams along the deck and runner leaking
4) If you are new to building, you might be best off just laminating a piece of 1/32nd ply to the outside of the hull. That would cover the hole and get you on the water, but leave a weak spot suseptible to further damage later. It would need to be attached to the entire chine to keep it from really showing up as it's almost imposible to install an outside patch and make it invisible
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 AM
dicko

If you plan on painting it it's a reasonably easy fix.

- Push it out from the inside so that it is as flat as possible
- Sand it on the inside as flat as you can.
- mix up some 2 part epoxy with some fille such as Q-cell or micr balloons and fill the inside (don't worry about the outside yet)
- once that has set sand it smooth and lay some glass ofer the area using the same epoxy resin as used to mix the filler, the flatter the surface the better the glass will bond, BUT you want a rough flat surface, ie use 60 or 80 grit sand paper.
- once that has set, sant the outside flush & full with filler
- once that has set sand it back & put & you're ready for sanding the whole hull for sealing & priming.

If you want a wood finish do as above, but use straight epoxy on the outside instead of filler to keep your wood finish. You will still be able to see it though.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Darn....I was hoping soneone would say "just fill it with wood filler and you'll be fine". Haha,. I just finnaly got this thing built, and all I needed to do was clean it up and seal it!!

Well looks like Im going to have to preform some major surgery....Thanks for the advice guys, Its greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM
misshydro

You can do this two-three ways...One use those small metal picks,they look simmilar to the dentist pick that he use to pick your teeth with..try to pry the broken wood area backup in to shape..then cut a 1/32 ply to cover that hole side..this will hide the repair area if your planing to go with a wood finish on it...If you planning to paint it? Them use a fiberglass cloth over that area then epoxy that and sand it..you may have to re epoxy it again.after that sand to prime it and then paint it..
Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 AM
R.J. West

Well I know how it feels to be almost finished and have something silly like this happen, I think it happens more than we like to admit.

I'll back up HJ's advice on this one. Either way about it its going to have to be patched from the inside.

Its really an easy fix and it will probably take you an half hour to repair this.
If its possible to get to it from the inside I'd made a square patch from 1/32 or 1/16 ply, something thin, that will cover the damaged area and epoxy it from the inside, try to push the damaged area flush with the outside, sand N fill....

if its not possible then I would use an xacto knife and cut that area out fully from deck to bottom of the chine, add an 1/8 balsa square stripand glue along bottom and top edge, glue a 1/32 ply strip and make a lip on both sides of the chine and measure and cut from stock a piece of 1/16 ply and epoxy that in place, hold it down with masking tape. sand, fill N paint..

Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 AM
nick 30

an old carpenters trick

cut out the old section, make the cuts at roughly 45 degree angle's (all done from the inside) cut a new section the same size to fit in the hole and sand the edges so they match, glue in place with wood glue on all the edges, this will stop the new piece being pushed inwards with the wieght of the water

glue a new piece slightly bigger and glue inside the hull, this will stop it from falling out

once done, epoxy inside and out, sand and paint