Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

First time boater question.. HELP!!!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

First time boater question.. HELP!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 PM
brentp76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time boater question.. HELP!!!

I just picked up a used 46" enforcer with a stock 260 with a tuned wet pipe. I am super virgin to boating and have some dumb questions

- What is the difference between 2 and 3 blade props. Also brass and aluminum props.. Which is better?
- I am super confused with prop customizing, bending, cutting, cupping? splain lucy? is there somewhere I can just buy a trick prop?
- I am told by the previous owner he GPS'ed this boat at 45mph, is this slow, fast, or average? Also thinking about the WHH M5 upgrade.. is it worth it?
- I am interested I think in racing, I live is so cal. Is there a class local that I can just go have fun with what I have with minimal modding and still be somewhat competitive?
- Is this boat competitive in any configuration if not?
- I notice some boats in this size range have trim tabs in the back, mine has none. Is this because it doesnt need them, or I should add them? Is this boat fairly stable for a baby boater.

I am sure I have a bunch more questions but for now if anyone has any insight I would be very thankful. I just got the boat today and am looking forward to having fun. I have flown RC planes for a number of years and feel like I did the first day with that!

Brent
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: First time boater question.. HELP!!!

I'll give it a shot.
Not much difference in 2 and 3-blade props but a 3-blade keeps one in the water at all times. Some prop sizes are only available in only 2 or 3-blade but some manufacturers make them both ways. Run what the boat likes.
Brass, actually beryllium copper is preferred, aluminum props have a habit of breaking. Stainless steel is the best but the higher price plus harder to sharpen limit them to only a brand or two. Don't sweat the customizing of the props right now, just get a good prop unless you order one made for your boat. A lot of gas boaters use www.dasboata.com for their custom and stock prop needs. We also have a thread stickied to the top of this forum with lots of prop info.
45 MPH isn't bad for this boat but because of the way that it's made isn't a good one for speeds over 50 MPH. If you want to go faster then get used to this one first then think about moving up to one which will handle a mod motor. In So-Cal, check out www.namba.com for races and www.namba19.com . Gas boats in competition are hitting in the neighborhood of 60 now.
Whether or not it needs trim tabs is up to you to see how it handles without them. If she's a little flighty then put some on.

Keep the questions coming!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: First time boater question.. HELP!!!

Further to what Ron has said. The boat you have is not really designed to be a competitive race boat - it is what we consider a sport boat and is more targeted at recreational boating. That said - it is a great boat and a blast to drive in all kinds of water conditions. It will be fast - faster than you might think. Faster than the water conditions might allow too.

What prop does she have on her presently? I would look for a 275 prop which is made by Prather and available in Beryllium or Stainless. It is a very good prop and will be something that you can use on many gas boats. It affords great acceleration and top end performance for sport boats. Another option is a 7016/3 (a 3 bladed prop) made by Propshop. I believe you will be happier with the 275 though. Might want to see what she has before looking for another - might end up with the same prop.

Get your boat out there and have some fun with it. Learn how it handles and drive it in some light chop to see how it behaves in a variety of water conditions. By all means check out local clubs and spend time talking with the guys. You will find most all are very happy to chat when they are not prepping for a race. Take your boat along - you might get some very helpful tips and tricks that you can use on this boat as well as others you may own in the future. They will let you know what you will need to run in a class they offer.

Another thing many overlook - track down some guys who run local to you. Always more fun to run with a group and you will also pick up tips and tricks along the way. Many will set up buoys on a pond so it will also give you some practice at driving a course and driving with other boats. One very real consideration is also the safety factor. Running with other boaters may save you from making a mistake that could cost you your boat - or serious injury.

Be sure you have adequate flotation in the boat - pool noodles work well. NEVER swim for your boat - in all seriousness we do lose on average one boater each year to drowning. Figure out how you are going to retrieve the boat - before you start it. I use an inflatable dinghy and oars. A fishing pole and tennis ball is also popular. But your will stop when you run it - and it usually happens on the far side of the pond.

Have fun with it and be safe - dont hesitate to ask some questions (and post some pictures)

Here is one of my enforcers with a smaller 23cc air cooled stock motor - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfAkHtVOnM[/youtube]