Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

need some help on deciding what path to take?!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

need some help on deciding what path to take?!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
kodiak400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help on deciding what path to take?!

I have had rc boats all my life. I am now a college student and have a tight budget.

I have a megatech Caribbean cruiser with a 1/10<sup>th</sup> side winder brushless motor in it. It is 4600kv and I’m running a 7 cell 8.4v 5000mah. I’m not sure what the problem is but it runs for only 5 mins and it goes just as fast as it did when it was stock.. If anyone has any tips please help!!!

Also I’m looking into buying a better boat but I would like something very fast without spending a lot of money. I’m not sure if I shoud stick with electric or move onto nitro? Does anyone have good recommendations on good boats?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
R.J. West

Default RE: need some help on deciding what path to take?!

Hi Kodiak400 and welcome aboard!
Electrics I think are alot of fun and a great way to get into the hobby. there are so many choices out there in both electric and nitro. There are also a good selection of Ready To Run boats out there, heres an example of a good choice. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXWCJ1**&P=0

Heres a link to Tower Hobbies list of choices... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-b.html
If you already have an electric boat then I assume you have batteries and a charger, along with some knowledge gained from running them.
Nitro fuel,which can cost up to $25 a gallon, a hand held starter, battery for the starter &glowplugs etc. Electric boats ya just toss'em in the water and go, with a nitro boat you have to fiddle with tuning. Since your in college now and on a tight budget I think in this situation to just stick it out with electrics. See if you can hook up with some guys running nitro boats in your area and watch them run, ask questions so you can get a better visual of what you want/need for a nitro boat. Either way you go, Boats ROCK!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM
kodiak400

thanks alot for the help. i have some knowledge about electric boats except i cant really figure out whats wrong with mine now? it should go alot faster hen what it does. anyways i was wondering about nitro because i saw the price for lipo batteries and the changer for them. it was kinda pricey so i thought it may be a good idea to move onto nitro. plus im looking for something for higher speeds and for that reason im not sure to stick with nitro or electric?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Both power systems can be very fast, all depends on the boat and set up, including engine choise. In fact, right now the world record for fastest R/C boat is held by an electric rigger. It kind of depends on what you really want to do, plug and play/test/repeat or fuel/tune/test/repeat
Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Dan S

Kodiak,
how old is your battery pack? and not just in months or year but how many times was it charged?

Dan.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
kodiak400

the battery pack is brand new only ran it once with it, but the charger is very old and its from radio shack... i have a feeling that may be the problem?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Dan S

if the charger is very old there is a good chance that it can't bring the pack to a full 5000mA charge and that it was not designed to charge NiMh batteries.
Old chargers were made for NiCd.

get yourself a better charger, and try it again.

Dan.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The battery might need a few charge/discharge cycles before it is at its best. It is always possible that if the charger is a constant/limited current supply, that it has not had long enough to charge the battery fully.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're in a dorm or Frat house your roomies might have a problem with having nitro around. I did do some running with a university student while he attended WMU and he was running nitro boats but don't know where he stayed, on or off campus as I never asked.
Aquacraft and Pro Boat both have RTR's that won't take up much room or need a lot in the way of support equipment.

As far as your electric boat goes, I really don't know a lot about them. Sometimes when you put a hotter motor in them you have to prop down.