Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Same old question, which boat? Please help ASAP!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Same old question, which boat? Please help ASAP!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
yannicksjh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same old question, which boat? Please help ASAP!

Hi everybody, i'm asking the same old question of which boat to buy. I decided to try the boat thing because we purchased a real boat last season and around water all summer. I'm new to rc boats but not new to the rc world. I thinking of sticking with nitro's since i have and had dozens of nitro trucks/buggies and cars. Plus I'm already equiped and somewhat knowledged for nitro's. I was thinking of going electric brushless because of thinking of all those time the engine has cut out and having to retrieve it but with the added expense of the really expensive batteries, chargers and shorter run times i've decided to go nitro (unless someone can convince me otherwise) plus i love the sound! Since i don't need to buy all the extra's i can maybe spend a little more on the actual boat. I've been looking and a few boats have caught my eye but please suggest any other boat (make and model). As for hull type, i don't think i want a hydro, but maybe a V hull or cat. the boats i'm thinking of are: I'm thinking of stability, turning, speed, quality, reliability etc

Proboat blackjack 26 SS
Proboat Thundercat 31
Proboat Shockwave 36
Aquacraft Supervee 27

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please specify why as well. I would also be warned of any boats to avoid. I'm looking at new or used in the $200-$400 range. I sometimes like to buy used because upgrades have already been done. I'll be buying this week if possible so any comments or suggestion ASAP would be great. Thanks in advanced
Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 PM
advanced builder

Default RE: Same old question, which boat? Please help ASAP!

yannicksjh, You already have .12-.15 buggy engine & radio . You can build your own rigger,cheap . Great SPEED even a cell rigger Not all that hard a build 42 pages & pics to help ,also help here if needed http://www.zippkits.com/
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
yannicksjh

Hi, I appreciate the suggestion but don't want to start swapping engines back in forth. I just want to buy a good used boat that has already been upgraded with what it needs. Maybe, once i know i'll stick with boats and know more abouit them i'll do a build. For now can anyone suggest what boat i should be looking at and avoiding. I'm really leaning towards the thundercat 31????? OR should i stay away because i read they have thin or cheap hulls? thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Dan S

you are going to get a lot of info on all 4 boats.
some like the first 3 and most may sway you towards the SV27.

if you want, go into the speed - nitro boats forum (where you put your first question) scroll down to the bottom and do a search for each boat.

I know its going to be a bit of reading, but you will be able to read how each boat were out of the box and if a lot was needed to be done before you could play with it.

Dan.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
tropheus29

Get the Super V Nitro. The Thundercat THUNDERSUX= It overheats, the pipe header will drive you nuts, the hull is paper thin, and the crappy starter system will wear out fast. You will spend the price of the boat twice in 3 months. The Shockwave is the same boat in a Vee. The Black Jack is a hunk of crap too. Batteries for that 10 mph fast ball will cost you more than its worth. I wouldn't take a Proboat if you gave it to me. The only reason hobby shops sell them is that they have Horizon Reps that drive the owners nuts with promises of bigger profit margins over the competitor's products. Reason being is that it is crap in a box.

Aquacraft is a good starter brand with reasonable upgrades and pride in their design. Don't buy chinese junk.