Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need some advise on ESC for boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

I need some advise on ESC for boat

Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
The sign man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advise on ESC for boat

I bought a Lucky IX tug boat at the WRAM show in New York. I would like to power it with a sealed 12 volt 7 amp battery (the kind you see in field boxes) It needs weight in the hull anyway as it seems top heavy. These sealed batteries weigh about 5lbs. My question is, the boat came with a Chinese ESC and a cheap 4 channel reciever. Will the ESC work with a 12 volt battery or do I need to buy a new ESC for the increased amperage? Will the ESC maintain 4.8 volts to the reciever if I run 12 volts?

Seems like a lot of questions, but I'm sure someone out there can help with a part number or system that will work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91204.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1412532  
Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: I need some advise on ESC for boat

There are a great many Chinese ESCs. If you find a make/model number and google it, you have a chance of finding some information.
Most ESCs these days have a BEC built in. If the ESC information says that it was intended for 12 volts, yes it will work, but the limiting factor might be the motor. Will that stand up to the increased voltage and the increased current even if the ESC can handle the higher current? What voltage was it intended for in the first place?