Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

radio box tape ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

radio box tape ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:11 PM
rcguy1411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio box tape ?

where other than the lhs do you guys get radio box tape my lhs wants $ 20.00 a roll that seems alittle on the pricey side
Old 04-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: radio box tape ?

Most rc boat parts dealers have it - I usually wait till I have an order going together and add a roll or two to the order (Saves shipping one or two on their own).

Think there was a guy selling 2 or 3 rolls at a time for around $20 with free shipping.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Dan S

rcguy,

is that with Mike Hallam from Hallam Marine Hobby?

I bought 2 rolls from him 3 years ago at $16 each, I haven't started my second roll yet.
the good stuff (the one that does not leave any residue) is a tad expensive but well worth it.

Dan.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 PM
rcguy1411

no it was Skycraft and it was the stuff from aquacraft i have seen it for alot less in the US i get it when the dallar is crap but its on par right now so i dont get these huge mark ups ill just add some to my order when i get my big order next month for the season
Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Seeing how you're in the Great White North, I've used window sealing tape. It's a little on the thick side but has worked well for me.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Dan S

LOL.....Ron

The Great White North.

Dan.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Ron Olson

Old enough to remember Bob and Doug MacKenzie?
Now might be a good time of the year as most places want to unload their winter stock if htey haven't already done so. I bought some rolls from a big chain store in Michigan and it was creased in the middle so slitting it was easy. It's real close to the thickness of Prather tape. I've heard of some using Hockey stick tape but it didn't work so hot for me.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 AM
chief3452

I have had pretty good luck with plain old UL listed electrical tape. It even comes in colors now if you want to get fancy.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 PM
dicko

I've switched to electrical tape too, it's handy having a constant free supply from a sparky.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM
rcguy1411

thanks for all the info ! Now if i rember last winter correctly last winter the guys that live south of me had all the white stuff i belive Ron you had to do quite a bit of shoveling we had snow on the ground for four days just enough to have a little fun with the kids
Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Ron Olson

Nah, not that much here this year, less than usual. What was funny to me were the guys that are normally raggin' on us got a big taste of what we get! No snow plows, road salt or snowblowers! They were whinin' and closing stores when they got like 4 inches.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
slydog43

I believe that clear hockey tape is the same stuff, it costs like $4 at my local sports store.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
wetherbeec

Speedmaster carries Radio box tape it's $12 bucks, I use this tape on my boats, it's worth the price, plus my role has lasted a year or more http://www.rossisales.com
Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 AM
turborich

Why do you need a special tape? I have been using electrical tape & it seems to work just fine. $20 a roll seems outragous. Am I missing something? I know I'm a newbee but it seems to work.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
13BT

The sooner rc boat manufacturers design their boats to be tape free, the better.

C'mon now. All that technology and innovative design that goes into boats these days and I'm still expected to use TAPE to seal hatches and radio boxes??

Do rc submariners use tape? (i'm not sure) Does tupperware use tape to get a watertight seal? Is it really that hard to re-design?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Ron Olson

Tape is cheap and quick to remove to get into the box or to seal. In days of old they screwed down the lids of the boxes and used a foam or silicone sealant between the box and lid.
Tupperware has been used for radio boxes but you want ot make sure that the servos are mounted well to the bottom preferably with a solid base so they don't move around.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 AM
13BT

Cheap? yes (but not at $20 a roll, $2 for electrical tape sounds better);
Quick to remove or apply? I'll have to disagree there.

As for tupperware, I dont mean for people to actually use tupperware, but for boat manufacturers to copy the sealing design of tupperware. Just press on and pull off. Beats fiddling around with tape IMO.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Ron Olson

I don't or wouldn't pay $20.00 a roll for tape. The window sealing tape that I've been using is only about $2.50 a roll and I can slit it in half to make 2 rolls.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
rcguy1411

the main reason i asked the question in the first place was i dident want to get hosed by the LHS just thought $ 20.00 for tape was stupid $$$$ and was looking for an alternet solution have found radio box tape for $ 5.00 a roll now i can spend all my $$$$ on props
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Stinger9d9

I know this thread is a bit stale, but the best stuff (which is also quite cheap) is clear hockey tape. It works pretty much like electrical tape - you can rip it by hand, and it remains sticky when wet so you can even reuse it if you are careful removing it.

It's also a little wider than electrical tape and you can stretch it a bit so it conforms around curves (like the curves leading to the front of the SV27).

Since you are in Canada, it's even easier and cheaper to find than it may be in the states, just go to Canadian Tire, you can buy almost 400 feet of the stuff for less than 10 bucks:

[link]http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/2/HockeyIce/HockeyAccessories/PRD~0830380P/Hockey%252Band%252BShin%252BGuard%252BTape.jsp?loc ale=en[/link]

I know the info says it's white or black, but that's mentioning other tape they have. This stuff is clear, I've bought 2 packs of it.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Tombsy

I had been using the hockey shinpad tape for quite awhile it works great but if you leave it on very long or it gets hot it can leave a ton of residue.
I finally tried some of the "good" stuff, it's alot thinner and almost seems more like cellophane tape than vinyl tape but it doesn't leave any stickiness behind which I think might be the main reason why people use it.
It doesn't stretch around curves like vinyl tape.
The roll seems like it will last quite awhile I figure considering what it's protecting it's still pretty cheap.
Just thought I'd give my impressions in case any one else is wondering what the deal with the tape is.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
water rat

Just a little note; I was watching tv and up popped an ad for some kind of miracle tape.. Absoulutly air tight seal and will pull off with no mess.. Walmart carries it, It's in their AS SEEN ON TV isle.. Hope this helps!

Russ Culler (Water Rat)