Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

2.4 ghz TX and RX question

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

2.4 ghz TX and RX question

Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Erik Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 ghz TX and RX question

I have been out of the loop from a surface aspect of the RC hobby for the past 15 years. Technology has made a few advancements during that time, so please bear with me. I have a couple elementary Tx and Rx questions.

I currently own a Spektrum DX6i and have my planes on it. Is there any reason why I can't purchase a marine RX (MR3000) use the DX6i to run my boat too?

Is there any real advantage to using the pistol grip type TX over the dual stick? If there is a huge difference then I will bite the bullet and buy a pistol TX.

I assume there is a way to water proof the standard RX for these systems. I know when I used to use FM or AM setups years ago in my boats I used to put the RX in a balloon. Is that okay to do with the 2.4 ghz receivers? Or is there a different method?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 AM
1RiverRat

Default RE: 2.4 ghz TX and RX question

I can not say if the mr3000 will bind to the dx6i I can say I have been using a standard sr3000 for years in a boat without any problems. It has to be the location of the lake that gives people trouble. Lakes that have fountians or underground cables seem to be the places that create problems.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Erik Steinbring

I will look at the DX6i box and see is if has the marine sticker on it. From what I have read on the Spektrum site all the new DSM2 TX are compatible. I know it won't work with the DX6 TX I have as it is RX specific and not the new DSM2 technology.

However good point, I should make sure before pulling the trigger on it. I will need to buy a new RX for this boat regardless just figured the extra $10 for the marine would be worth the money. Every boat I have owned has had water somehow find its way into the dry box at some point. So did you bag the SR3000 Rx?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 AM
amax

I've been using the DX3, DX3.0, DX2, DX2.0, TX's and SR3000, SR3500 micro, SR3001 Pro, in my boats for years and only had 1 boat that didn't like it, and that was after i painted it, it worked great on that boat before paint. There are a number of ways to protect your RX from moisture Balloons are 1 of them. I have used [link=http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4091]CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor[/link], and [link=http://www.corrosionx.com/marine.html]CorrosionX [/link] , Both work Very Well inside RX and Servos, just let it dry completely before putting power to it. You can Also Use Silicone or Epoxy to encase the Electronics. I use the CRC and a Balloon on my RX's, the more layers of protection the better. Don't leave the RX in the balloon Indefinitely it should be Aired out after a day at the pond, also replace balloons on a regular basis. A lot of balloons now a days are Biodegradable so when there Released into the air and land Who Knows Where,, they Don't Stay there for 20yrs. and they will break down and turn to GOO in your radio box if left there to long,,,Been There,,Done That,,LOL.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Erik Steinbring

Thanks for the response! I looked at the DX6i and of course it says for air use only so obviously it doesn't have the marine sticker. I think I will probably get a pistol tx for this rig and keep my boats separate from my heli and planes. Probably will be a smarter idea.

I like the CRC idea and spraying everything down first. I didn't realize there were now "green" balloons. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 PM
amax

I haven't used any of the DSM2 or the New Marine RX, So I don't know how much better they work. The big Differance Between Air and Surface Systems is Distance, and I do Belive you can use a Surface RX with a Air TX, but not the other way around, it's the TX that makes the Differance in Distance. The Marine RX is Just encased in Epoxy to waterproof it, it's big feature is the second Antenna and input channell to help compinsate for the distance loss Due to the Water According to Spektrums Site. The Feature I like the most about the Spektrum is the Fail Safe System, if you have a distance issue or glitch the boat goes to the settings You Set when Binding the TX & RX, I set mine with Throtel Just above Idel and Turning Right. I generally run Hydroplanes with Modified Engines and Aggressive Props So you Don't want the boat to just stop in the water because it won't get back up on plane. Set with throtel just above idel it will stay close enough to planing to be able to recover and finish a race when the boat Turns Right and Comes Back Into Range,,No Going after a Dead Boat.