Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

new to boating, not rc, have a few ???

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

new to boating, not rc, have a few ???

Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to boating, not rc, have a few ???

ok well i dabbled in boats last summer with a toy and then a trx blast, both not very impressive but the bug is still there and i wanted to get more into them. my biggest thing is speed and support, just found out the boat i had my eye on, the brushless sv27 is discontinued at tower. so now the big question is what are my options?

my requirements:
electric and brushless ready or rtf (dont care for nitro but not entirly oppsed to it)
lake capable
easily transported; the reason i say this is because we have a park with an rc boat running area that id love to run at but i need to bike there since i dont have a car (jobless and 18) so it needs to be something i can strap to my combat bag or strap to my bike and bring over.

i never really grasped some of the finner points of rc boats like, do they use aircraft radios/freqs or car (surface) radios/freqs also do they use or are they capable of using car based batterys, motors, esc's, since right now all i do is race dirt oval so my support eqipment is geared towards cars. also, what kind of terms and specialty eqipment will i need? what stuff is exclusive to boats that i should or need to know about. what type/shape of hull is best for what i want to do (play in small lakes)

what brands should i stay away from and which should i consider, is there like a traxxas of the boating world (besides traxxas...) as far as rtrs and beginner friendliness.

like i said, ive got years of experience with cars under my belt and just about all the tools and equipment needed so im not going in totaly blind but any advive or suggetions willl be greatly welcomed!

thanks
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Angel727
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: new to boating, not rc, have a few ???

NOt really. Check OFFSHORE ELECTRIC they have lots of parts for your fe and they sell it too!
Old 05-01-2010, 03:59 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Radio, avoid air frequencies, the flyboys get really twitchy if they think someone else is controlling their plane.  2.4GHz is the exception to this.
Just because one particular retailer has discontinued a particular product does not mean that it is no longer available, a bit of internet searching might turn up an alternative supplier.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Dan S

once you have the SV 27 brushless you don't need to go to towers for parts.
you can put any aftermarket brushless motor, any esc's and any battery packs you wish.

You can also get all other hardware from other manufacturer, props is not a problem and neither are flex cable.

Dan.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

dan thats what i wanted to hear, ill look at trying to pick one up on ebay for the summer!