Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help. Boat propellers pulsate at full throttle

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help. Boat propellers pulsate at full throttle

Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
msherba424

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Boat propellers pulsate at full throttle

This is my first post and I am hoping someone might be able to help me out. I recently purchase a remote control boat and am having problems with it. It is a Superlative Mosquito Craft 7007 7.2V RC boat. The problem Iam having is that the boat works great when I am going slow but the minute I push the controller to full throttle the propellers start to pulsate and the boat goes nowhere. Then minute I back off the throttle it goes back to normal. Can anyone please tell me what could be wrong with it or what I would even start to check into? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Tony Fitzpatrick

Default RE: Help. Boat propellers pulsate at full throttle

Superlative Mosquito Craft 7007 High Speed Racing R/C Boat
[ul][*] High Performance R/C Racing Boat[*] Life-like Outward Appearance[*] The Direction is Active and matchless[*] Function: Go Forward, Turn Left and Right[*] Twin Powerful Speed Motors[*] Powerful 380 Type High Speed Motors[*] Professional Large Torsion Propellers[*] Twin Propeller Design With Metal Shafts[*] 7.2V Larger Capacity Rechargeable Battery Pack[*] The Limit Speed[*] Completely Pre-assembled[*] Length: 29"[*] Height: 4.3"[*] Width: 8.7"[*] Ready to Run
[/ul]

Each Boat Comes Complete With:
[ul][*]One Radio Control Racing Boat with Stand One Remote Control[*]7.2V Rechargeable Battery Pack[*]A/C Adapter[*]2 Replacement Propellers
[/ul]
From the above,I'd guess the speed is limited by a crude current sensor and your options are to reduce friction ,use smaller propellors or hack the electronic board.
If the cutout is buried in the battery pack then leave it alone or use a non limited pack.

It could equally be cutting out to protect against a battery pack being over discharged.Does it hint at anything like that in the instructions?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
msherba424

That was one of the first things Ichecked were the instructions. They do not say anything in them regarding any kind of sensors or limitations. Thats what I originally thought as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds like a control board problem to me. Then again, I went back and looked at the printed specs in an earlier post and these caught my eye:
Powerful 380 Type High Speed Motors

Professional Large Torsion Propellers

Twin Propeller Design With Metal Shafts

7.2V Larger Capacity Rechargeable Battery Pack

The Limit Speed

I see three red flags in just these few lines:
Professional propellers-NO SUCH THING, SAYS CHINESE TOY BOAT
Twin Propeller Design-USES PROPS TO STEER, LEFT SLOWS LEFT PROP, RIGHT SLOWS RIGHT PROP. This is iffy at best
The Limit Speed-What the hell is that? Is that a voltage cut off in the control board?

My recommendation is to return it and get your money back. If you want to keep it, trash the electronics and put in a good quality radio set, speed controller, motor and rudder instead of the twin prop drive and garbage electronics
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
msherba424

Thank you for your help. I was hoping it would be something I might be able to fix fairly easy but it doesn't look like it.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Tony Fitzpatrick

Hold on.It is essentially a kids toy (no offense- we are all kids here) and I still think it likely to be a safety mechanism of some type but I possibly called it wrong first guess.

When you run dry you get very high rpm and the props are a safey hazard.Was it wet or dry when you got the problem? What happens the other way?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Good question Tony. It could be an anti-cutting feature or a bad control board that can't handle a full load from both engines. I still stand with my recommendations of take it back or replace the electronics. If I might ask, how much did you pay for it?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Tony Fitzpatrick

Early days yet.More info needed.
Give it a full charge,test it both in and out of water (if it allows dry running),try the steering too.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM
msherba424

When I run it out of the water the propellers work fine giving it any kind of throttle. It's when it is in the water is the problem. Runs fine for 10 seconds and then the propellers start to pulsate and I can't do anything about it. I gave the battery a full charge and still get the same problem. I have even tried another battery and get the same result.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

[*]Twin Powerful Speed Motors[*]Powerful 380 Type High Speed Motors[*]Professional Large Torsion Propellers
Sounds like the loading applied by the props is overloading, well, everything.  Smaller props, as would be fitted by a real professional, might help, but it could well be that there is intentional or accidental protection built in.  Either the circuit or the battery can't supply the required current, or something is built in to limit it., so reducing the load should help.
Anyway, what's a torsion prop? Is it one that goes round and round?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Torsional props are an attempt to make it sound fancier than it is, it's also been seen as vortex steering. Basically it just uses variable speed to steer with on twin motored boats, like of like a tank in a loose way.
A lot of the ads for Asian-made boats use a tranlator program to convert it to English which is sometimes amusing.
Seeing how there is no professional racing in RC boats, that's thrown in to make their product sound better. I'm always wary of ads like that.
You got what you paid for which probably wasn't much.