Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Laser cutting of Newton marine plans, educate me please.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Laser cutting of Newton marine plans, educate me please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
terry.mortimore
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser cutting of Newton marine plans, educate me please.

Hi Gang:

Are there any laser cutting services that are set up to cut from Newton marine plans?

I've built many laser cut airplane kits and would like to do the same with a Hydro.

Thanks, Terry.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Laser cutting of Newton marine plans, educate me please.

Don't waste your money. When Roger Newton started doing plans back in the 70's, he did it the old fashioned way; T-square, triangles and french curves. With the last set of plans Roger drew, he did it the same old fashioned way.
In so doing, Roger made some mistakes where some parts don't quite fit. They are either too big, too small or just plain wrong. By lazer cutting, you would eliminate any chance of correcting the errors made and still end up cutting out some of the parts by hand. The only way to lazer cut out a kit would be to had cut and fit the parts and then redraw them corrected in CAD so that the mistakes are taken out. If you have the CAD training and want to do the redrawing, David Newton might want to talk to you
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
terry.mortimore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Hydro, thanks for the information.

That's why I asked the question, I was hoping to find a laser cutter that would have done the cutting previously and made the necessary corrections.

Is there another source for hydro plans that would be done in CAD. I'd like to build the 2001 Budweiser boat.

http://www.newtonmarine.com/plan_det...443&category=5

Cheers, Terry
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Laser cutting is expensive as they charge by the hour of cutting time and setup time. The last time that I knew, laser time alone was a good $75.00 an hour and sometimes the setup charge could be another $75.00 depending on who is cutting it. You need a large bed cutter to do a kit this size. My sister has three 12" x 24" laser cutters and at $20,000.00 a pop she has to do a lot of cutting to make a buck. Her prices for doing jobs is cheap and most of the time free for me Walking into a shop with a CD in a .dwg format can save you a bunch of money plus providing the wood will save you more as they probably don't keep lite ply laying around.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Lite ply Ron? I don't use litte ply in a scale boat, only good quality aircraft grade plywood goes in my boats and it's even more expensive. I leave the lite ply to rigger builders and for aircraft that I have plans for in my garage