Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

building my first boat.

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

building my first boat.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 PM
ecnal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building my first boat.

Hi im new to this building thing, but have tinkered around with nitro boats and cars. I have a 55in deep vee boat and also have a homelite 45cc chainsaw motor. What do i need to convert for a boat? and what kinda drive should i use? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: building my first boat.

Not too sure a chainsaw motor is a good choise. They normally spin clockwise when looking at the chain drive sprocket. Almost all boat drives are set up to use counter-clockwise rotation. Can it be done? Yes, but with some serious work or running the drive under the engine with a belt or chain drive. What you do to get the chainsaw engine to work will determine what kind of drive system you can install.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:17 PM
leebart121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read in a post in this forum about a person that made some mods to his moter and made it spin the opiset direction. try looking into that as well.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That's more work than it's worth. You've got a lot to deal with as you would need a reoil that pulls in the opposite direction and a left-lay cable if you can get it to fire after swapping everything around. Even using a gearbox can't be cheap.