Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Painting>Taping Question. Please Help!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Painting>Taping Question. Please Help!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
miniature_business

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting>Taping Question. Please Help!

Hey. I got one question. I am painting the bottom of my hull white, the sides and part of the deck orange, and the top of the deck gun metal.. After I prime, do I spray the color that appears the most all over the boat and then tape it off and spray the next and so on? OR, do I mask the areas I don't want white, spray the white, then mask it and move on? I have never really figured out a solid answer. I was worried about ridges where the the color changes due to build up. I hope I haven't confused everybody. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Painting>Taping Question. Please Help!

You will always have your "ridges" or tape lines if your not using clearcoat. WhenI spray multi colors on a full size car, or boat rather, I use 1500 grit wet paper and LIGHTLY sand the ridge line down a little. The clearcoat will then always be wetsanded perfectly smooth across the tape line and finally polished with a high speed buffer and series of compounds.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Most professional painters lay down the base coat first(in your case white) and then the next largest color and finish the rest with a trim gun or air brush as applicable. What gun to use is normally a matter of how much paint you need until you get to trim, then it's how wide of pattern you need.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 PM
miniature_business

Cool thanks! If I'm not mistaken, it will be easier to lay the other colours over the white. Another question is after laying down white all over will the other colours have trouble biting to the white? Should I scuff the parts that won't be white to promote adhesion? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

One thing you can do is if you plan on clearing the boat, just use white primer and paint on your other colors and then clear over the top[sm=shades_smile.gif]