Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Antenna questions

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Antenna questions

Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 AM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Antenna questions

I have several questions on antennas for boats This in regards to the older am rx

1. Can the length of the wire.out of the RX be shortend instead of coiling it up?
2. Is there a alternative to a whip ant.? ,Inrc planeswe used to run them inside fusealoge
or wing. I know in surface you have a flat profile.
3, If using a whip, what material can be used? I don't like a hard wire, even curled at the end.
I have used a very small, plastic coated cable with good results, but its stiff and heavy.
4, What is the minimum length of a whip?

I know some of these questions can best be answered with range checks
I know there are somehere that have a lot more rc boat time than I have, and
have tried a lot of ideas, good or bad, Letshear from you.
Thanks

Having this much fun must be illegal

Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Antenna questions

The RX manufacturers worked out what they thought was the best length.  Shorten it at your own peril.  The total length should be the same after fitting the whip or whatever else is used.  A length of semi-rigid plastic tube can be used to support the aerial wire above deck, run the wire up the inside of the tube, fold the end of the wire over to stop it dropping back down.
The current best answer is to go 2.4GHz.
Much depends on the type of boat - a small plastic scale one that almost vanishes at over 50 yards is OK with the wire coiled, similar but larger, run the wire round the deck edge, yachts have rigging to run up.  
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

To answer #1, NO! Sorry to be so subtle but the antennas are tuned to the radio. I learned a lot about this many moon ago in my CB radio days. We used an SWR meter to tune our antennas to get as much distance and receive as far as we could. Cutting anything off your antenna can make a drastic loss in signal.
Try running the antenna langthwise in the boats, a lot of 1/8th scale hydro racers do that so they don't have that nasty tube sticking up detracting from its looks.
Some whip antennas are base loaded which means that the wire is coiled at the base. The newer 2.4 Gig antennas are top-loaded placing the coil at the top end.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Argess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Can the length of the wire.out of the RX be shortend instead of coiling it up?

As above, not a good idea, although most receivers have a tuning adjustment in the front end (a coil or potentiometer near the antenna) which could allow some shortening.

2. Is there a alternative to a whip ant.? ,In rc planes we used to run them inside fusealoge
or wing. I know in surface you have a flat profile.

Not a good idea unless you want to hold your transmitter with the antenna sideways. As the transmitter is usually held with the antenna pointing up (vertically polarized), the receiver antenna should also be vertically polarized for maximum range.

3, If using a whip, what material can be used? I don't like a hard wire, even curled at the end.
I have used a very small, plastic coated cable with good results, but its stiff and heavy.

Go to your LHS and get a plastic antenna tube used by the Buggy and Monster Truck crowd. There are even mounts available to make installation easy.

Here's a mount link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKWH5&P=7

Here's an antenna tube link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD185&P=7

4, What is the minimum length of a whip?

There isn't any. Just the longer the better. It's all about signal to noise ratio and the longer (higher the whip), the stronger/better signal you will have. Typically at least 14" is used.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 AM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all
My questions have been answered and or confermed.
My next  tower order will include some of antenna stuff.
You can never have enough [stuff].

Having this much fun must be illegal