Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

radio/reciever question

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

radio/reciever question

Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 AM
turborich
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio/reciever question

Hey guys, After about 18 years in storage my friend has fired up his prather lap cat (the first gen) he picked up a new radio & reciever for it but is having trouble. On the lap cat 1 it has a very thin metal antenna on the boat, should the new reciever wire be attached to this metal antenna or should we just remove the origonal metal one & use a tube & the new reciever wire only? I ask because the guy at the hobby shop told me that the wire is matched to the reciever & cutting or adding to it would not be good. today out of nowhere the boat just cut left all by itself & nearly crashed. It was a close call. This is not a 2.4, just an AM radio/reciever.

Thanks, Rich
Old 05-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: radio/reciever question

Cutting any receiver isn't good. 1. It shorten's your distance. 2. You may get radio interference meaning, when you take the boat out, you do one thing it will do another. Say if you wanted to go left, it go right instead or the motor stays in full throttle and then you have a wrecked boat. Another way to put it is if you shorten your local radio station antenna, you wouldn't get that signal. Hope it help's. As for the metal antenna it's probably from an older system that u don't need no more. So my opinion replace the metal one with a plastic tube and run your antenna through that. I wouldn't be using an am receiver/transmitter. Why you ask refer to 2.