Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Futaba Battary pack

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Futaba Battary pack

Old 05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
conntaxman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Battary pack

would anyone know if you can make and use you own battary pack for the RX on a futaba? The orignal battary pack says 4.8 vdc 500mah. I was going to use 4 AA. but that will come out to be 6 vdc.
tks
John
Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Futaba Battary pack

I only use Futaba and have been using 5 cell RX packs for over 20 years. There is no issue with the RX. Just make sure the servos can handle 5 cells vs 4 cells.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

6 volts is allways the better option.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
conntaxman

ob nut: this is the battary pack http://www.futaba-rc.com/batteries/futm1290-b.jpg I was just going to make up the battary back with 4 AA battaries , that would come out to about 6 vdc.I just want to know if the Receiver would handle the 6 volts.Well then I guess that the servos would also get 6 volts.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM
danielplace

[Quote]
ob nut: this is the battary pack http://www.futaba-rc.com/batteries/futm1290-b.jpg I was just going to make up the battary back with 4 AA battaries , that would come out to about 6 vdc.I just want to know if the Receiver would handle the 6 volts.Well then I guess that the servos would also get 6 volts.

Most servos will take 6 volts and are to designed to work with it improving the torque. Not sure if you are making a pack from dry cells or what???? They are 1.5 volts X 4 would be six volts but you gonna make a new pack everytime they die. If using rechargeable NiCd or NiMh they are only 1.2 volt and you need 5 actually to get six volts.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 AM
conntaxman

danielplace . Im glad you answered my question. The battaries would be AA size recharabale. I just " took for granted" that they were 1.5 vdc. I just want to make up a battary pack and wondered if the 6 vdc would be too much for the receiver.And i thought that 4 of the aa [ i thought 1.5 vdc] would work. I just went and got one of the battaries and YOUR RIGHT. Its a AA and it's 1.2 vdc. so 4 of these battaries would be the same as the battary pack from futaba.
But you said 5 battaries. would 6 volts be better? and would the receiver handle it?
tks
John
Ill have to put some pic of the fishing boat Im making.Big.
"
Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Tell us which RX you are using.. But in all my years, never had a problem running 5 cells using any RX.. A 5 cell pack will allow the servos to travel faster. Seeing that this is for a fishing boat, think of using a 4 cell with a large capacity. 2000 mah vs 800 mah. Your servo's won't need the extra speed / troque provided by the extra cell..