Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

First Hobby Class Boat, Some Help?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

First Hobby Class Boat, Some Help?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Hobby Class Boat, Some Help?

Hi,

I was looking for an inexpensive boat to take up on vacation with me in a couple weeks to a lake house. I also live 2 blocks from my parents, who have a house on a lagoon. Long story short, instead of wasting money on a toys r us special, I found an OLD Great Planes Wildcat (original, twin props, not SS) in new-in-box condition which I picked up from a buddy for less than what the toys r us boats would have cost. Boat is in perfect shape, decals are still not even applied. It's about 26 or 28 inches long, plastic tunnel hull cat.

I ripped out the manual speed controller and installed twin Novak T-4's (old, surface) esc's, each powered by a 3S 2200mah lipo. Each lipo / esc powers one of the 550's. The ESC's are not lipo aware so I'm running low voltage buzzers on each pack. Got it set up and test ran it yesterday.

Lasted about 3 minutes before one of the T-4's melted down and decided it did not want to play any more, I'm guessing due to the 3S voltage. Got the boat back to the dock and regrouped.

I dug back into the box of ancient RC parts and found an old "High Power" Tekin ESC rated for 10 nickel cells, so I figured this one would be better suited for the 11.1v lipos. Wired it up with dual deans plugs to handle the two cells in parallel, and wired the output to the two 550's, again in parallel. Again, using the low voltage buzzers since there were no lithium cells for RC when this ESC was made......

Back to the dock and we're back in business. This setup seems to be holding up.

Now, I understand that the Wildcat is an old hull, but I wanted to just get in the water with something fun, quickly.

Here are my questions.

1. The holeshot is incredible, the boat practically jumps out of the water and hits top speed instantly. However I think the top end is lacking. The boat uses 1/8" drive shafts, and about a 1.5" prop (might be 1.5 X 1.5). Can anyone suggest a higher pitch prop (and preferably inexpensive) that would fit this? Looking at the boat I don't think I could do more than a 2" diameter prop.

2. Any other setup tips? The hull is stock, dual rudders, dual trim tabs with vertical fins. Seems to handle extremely well, it will turn in about a 3 foot radius at it's current top speed.

I've been into RC for 20 years or so, I fly and I have a few nitro cars currently, but this is my first attempt with an RC boat.

Thanks!!