Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hughey 60 hydro kit 31"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Hughey 60 hydro kit 31"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM
ironsides

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hughey 60 hydro kit 31"

I'm new here, and not yet a model builder. A friend just gave me a Hughey 60 Hydro kit, seems like everything is there, even a motor.. there are no directions. Was this a good kit in its day? It appears to have been sold in the early 70's. Is there any value to it? Was it a good performer? Does anyone know where I could get directions? I live on a boat and have lots of water to play on. thanks for any answers you can give me.
Thanks, Steve
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Hughey 60 hydro kit 31

I've never seen a Hughey .60 so that one would be new to me. I had a .21 version way back in 1979-80.
It was a wicked little boat in it's day, easy to build and set up.
Lot's of luck getting instructions for it but Ed Hughey might have something laying around yet. It seems like he lives in the Indy area yet. I finally got to meet him last September at the Indy Masters race held in Hobart, IN.
He did have a website at one time but when I clicked on a link, it was virus-ridden.
I just did a Google search and it shows him as being in Carmel.
If you need his phone number, I know of someone that should have it.

Post pix if you can, I'd love to see it.

[Update] Here you go: http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/p...orporated.html
Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 PM
ironsides

Thanks for the information, I'll try to get an image posted tomorrow, 5/24. Not in original box, I'll lay the parts out.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Ron Olson

When I got my .21 kit I just started taping pieces together to see how the fit was. Ed did a helluva job back then as the tape went to the side and the epoxy came out!
Start test fitting the bulkheads thne when you start gluing, go from back to front as you'll have to bend the top and bottom together at the front.
The sponsons are a little different from the norm but somewhat easy. You have to cut into the foam so that the square booms have a place to sit, probably the trickiest part of putting the whole thing together.
Anybody reading this and not know about the Hughey 'riggers might be wondering what we're typing about but you and I do.
If this is your first boat you might find it intimidating trying to get it going but stay at it.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 PM
ironsides

Should be some photos of the Hughy 60 hydro kit.The kit is off to the brother-in-law who has a full R/C shop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22912.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1442888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58656.jpg
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1442889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99360.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1442890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58591.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1442891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14170.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1442892  
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Ron Olson

Sorry to get back to you so late as I lost your posting on my cell phone.
I was expecting an outrigger hydro, not that. I have to say that I've never seen one of those and didn't know that Ed made them. He also made outboard tunnel boats back in the day, also very competitive.
The .60 may be overkill for that hull as today, a good .21 would push that right along. That vintage Super Tigre looks like a pain in the rear to set up and get running but looks brand-new, something that a collector would be very interested in.
That has to be one rare boat you've got! Hopefully Ed or Dee (his brother) can help you out with the plans.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
ironsides

Ron,
My brother-in-law is getting it. He owns a marine repair business and is a former full size crackerbox racer. He has raced models for years and has a full shop. He is very excited to get it, maybe he will let me run it after he puts it all together. I'm getting an R/C sailboat! Much easier.....