Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hull repair and finish

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Hull repair and finish

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 AM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull repair and finish

I long time back, I bought an old nitro boat of ebay. It is a very old boat, and the engine was knackered. The boat geared down the engine through a very odd 2:1 gearing system with the engine facing backwards - I decided to gut it and convert it to electric.

In order to remove the epoxied engine mount, I had to cut a hole in the plastic hull. I removed a section of the hull, and removed the engine mount.

To re-affix the bottom of the hull, I first epoxied in beech wood stringers to support it. I then patched on 90-second epoxy to affix it. Further to that, I painted on a layer of 24-hour epoxy to seal it and secure it. However, that still left the groove in the bottom of the hull.

I tried to fill it in with milliput - a putty like two part epoxy. This has done a good job, but it is slightly below the surface (0.5mm) in places.

As the plastic ABS hull is quite soft, I don't want to add more milliput and sand it - I think I would end up damaging the smooth surface of the hull.

I plan to spray the boat in white primer, than paint it properly. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use to fill up this slight indent? It is only cosmetic - there is already a waterproof seal.

Thanks for any input

Andrew

In the photos, the brown stuff on the inside is 24 hour epoxy.
On the outside, the white stuff in the gap is milliput putty epoxy.
The dark stuff on the outside in the gap is 90-second epoxy that has dripped through - this is level with the surface.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig11241.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1448673   Click image for larger version

Name:	vq50941.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1448674   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb76251.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1448675   Click image for larger version

Name:	lf95096.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1448676   Click image for larger version

Name:	wh57267.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1448677  
Old 06-06-2010, 03:46 PM
joseywales

Default RE: Hull repair and finish

you can fill those imperfections with epoxy or use ICING made by USC. Its a two part polly puddy. It mixes like bondo. Very light weight and used for auto&Marine. Very easy to sand with 180 non cloging your sand paper.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 PM
cowana

What sort of conistancy epoxy would you go with? I'm worried about getting it all over the hull - that ABS is very soft and will sand much faster than epoxy.

Andrew
Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 AM
joseywales

after looking at the pics. You could just use two part pollypuddy on those areas. I dont know what UK carrys over there. But get the polly puddy that is auto&marine use. If your stores can get ICING made by USC ,then get it. There is a ICING made to use on plastic & rubber bumper too. The reason why they call it ICING is because it spreads like cake icing,nice and smooth.