Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you spray designs when painting?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How do you spray designs when painting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM
JawzSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you spray designs when painting?

My base coat is going to be a metalic blue but i wanted to put some yellow racing lines in it as well. I am using a HVLP spray gun set up with automotive paint but have never done thos sort of stuff before. Do I paint my whole boat with my solid base first and then stencil out the design and paint over top? Or, once the boat is primed do i mask of the design with tape, paint the base layer, let dry, remove mask tape from the design, and then mask off the already painted portion of the boat? in other words i dont know how to paint with more than one color.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: How do you spray designs when painting?

Most of my painted hulls are done in auto base coat first, then stripes or graphics are added on top, followed by a few layers of clearcoat. Check out the link to my website below. What you see are basic designs that started with a 100% basecoat coverage followed by carefull pinstriping or masking. The yellow "Stinger" hull was first painted white. I then taped the stripe area that I wanted shown with 1/4" and 3/4" blue 3M tape and sprayed the yellow over everything. Removing the tape revealed the stripes Iwanted. A very light wetsand of the tape edge followed by the clear makes for a very smooth feel.

firststatecomposites.com/photo_album.html
Old 06-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: How do you spray designs when painting?

Almost forgot Idid a step by step build of one of the hulls you see in the pictures.....a long thread, but the paint job and stripe work starts here... www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp