Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

stupid but important question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

stupid but important question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 AM
tobiaz62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid but important question

I need to know, do most rc boats work in salt water. THANKS YOUS!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43867.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1458547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24053.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1458548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92272.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1458549  
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: stupid but important question

yes they do, but you'll need to clean and rinse them out with fresh clean water evertime you run them in salt water
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM
amax

you have the same issues you will have with full size boats and Salt Water, and the very same products and practices used on the bigger boats can and will work on R\C boats. CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor is a product I've used for a decade or more on full size boats for sealing electronics and any thing else that might not like getting wet, I have been using it on my servos and rx for the past couple years and have been Glitch and Twitch Free, Corrosion X is another very good product and similar to CRC but a little thinner. WD-40 is a Must for any R\C Boat, I use it to flush water lines\jacket, flush nitro fuel out of engines at the end of the day before using After Run Oil, flush the Fuel Tank\lines Out, on bolts that are not SS, etc..
Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 PM
tropheus29

Yeah, to echo Amax: saltwater requires a little more after run maintenance than fresh. WD-40 saturate a rag or paper towel and wipe down the inside of the hull and all metal, after flushing with fresh water. Salt is viscous on metal and electronics but a lot of guys have no choice and learn to deal with at as a necessary evil to enjoying their boats.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Since I started, I've sailed in virtually nothing else.  In my case, salt + silt, silt being politespeak for whatever the geese and swans have put in there.
The important thing is to keep the water on the outside, and remember that being able to maintain the bits that poke through the hull (prop shafts, rudders, etc, is very important, equally important is actually doing the maintenance.
If the electrical bits get any salty wet on them, they need urgent attention.  First, remove the power.  Remove the salt by generous flushing with clean water to get rid of all the salt.  Let it dry out in a warm dry place until you are sure that all the clean damp is now dried, then let it dry out some more.  Then use the proofing method of your choice from the previous suggestions.