Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Painting yellow strips over blue basecoat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Painting yellow strips over blue basecoat

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 AM
JawzSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting yellow strips over blue basecoat

I am in the process of painting my boat. The basecoat is a blue, however, i wanted to paint some yellow stripes over top without having them turn green. Im new to using automotive paints for painting so I am unsure how one will lay over the other. Im assuming i would eventually get yellow over the blue with enough coats although I am not sure. The blue paint im using forthe baseis from Sherwin-Williams automotive collection and is a two-in-one base/clear.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Painting yellow strips over blue basecoat

ORIGINAL: JawzSS

I am in the process of painting my boat. The basecoat is a blue, however, i wanted to paint some yellow stripes over top without having them turn green. Im new to using automotive paints for painting so I am unsure how one will lay over the other. Im assuming i would eventually get yellow over the blue with enough coats although I am not sure. The blue paint im using forthe baseis from Sherwin-Williams automotive collection and is a two-in-one base/clear.
For starters, it will not turn green. Your blue basecoat has hardened and it's pigments will be completely covered by the yellow, unless of course your using a candy (which I seriously doubt). You may have to apply 2 coats of the yellow to completely cover.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Wait for the blue to dry and cure before applying later coats.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM
JawzSS

no im not using a candy.. ok cool, just wanted to make sure. This is my first time using automotive paint.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
gtopillado

Not sure if you have any but 1 coat of bright white then your yellow on top. Not to worry if you do not have white, just would cover faster and have a bit more vibrance.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yellow and red are the worst colors to try and put over a non white base coat. You can put yellow over the blue but it will never cover to show the true yellow. You will be much further ahead if you put on a couple of coats of white before you put the yellow down. In the future, always put your lighter colors on first, preferably a white base coat, then yellows and reds and then mask for the darker colors.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Visual Perfection

Yup, like already said, you want to put down a white coat before the yellow.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Check out this link... firststatecomposites.com/photo_album.html

The pictures of the yellow and blue hulls were painted the stripe color FIRST. It is MUCH easier to tape off the stripe area you want shown after the stripe color is down. Once taped with a HIGH QUALITY masking, the main base color can be applied. Removing the tape carefully makes for a perfectly sharp tape edge and a perfect white (or yellow in your case) stripe.

I used to paint for a custom autobody shop for years. Still do as a hobby to keep up the skills! Most of the hulls I build leave my shop fully painted with auto basecoat/clearcoat. The link above is just a small example. If you want to talk shop, feel free to call me directly, I'll PM you my number,
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
JawzSS

thanks for the help guys