Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finishing Resins

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Finishing Resins

Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
MadManAndrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing Resins

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of building my first boat and am ready to fiberglass the hull. Only one question: My hobby shop sells half gallon cans of finishing resin. What's the difference between these and ones that come with a hardener and a resin?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finishing Resins

Epoxy Finishing Resin is designed so that it will form a nice, smooth film on the top of wood or cloth. Finishing resins do not have strong molecular links in the cured material, so they are not good at all for using as a general-purpose adhesive. Don't use finishing resin for laminating wood. Finishing resin is good for bonding fiberglass cloth to the model's surface to add strength and make a good surface for paint. Finishing resin is also used inside fuel tank compartments as a fuel-proof coating.

Finishing Resin is mixed 1:1. It's applied with a brush, working it through the cloths's surface. After application, squeegy off any excess resin with an old credit card or stiff cardboard. Allow it to cure overnight. The resin can then be wet sandedand re-coated if needed.