Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

***Auto Bailers to use them YES or NO???***

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

***Auto Bailers to use them YES or NO???***

Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 AM
exotica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Auto Bailers to use them YES or NO???***

Hi guys, im thinking of using two auto bailers in my 46" hydro which some of you might have seen on this forum.
My concern is how fast the auto bailerstake in water if she decides to die in the middle of the pond?

She doesnt take in too much water now but thinking ahead.

Anyone have them installed on there hull?
Are they any good?
Where to install them on a hydro if they work?

Any suggestions or comments regarding these auto bailers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: ***Auto Bailers to use them YES or NO???***

I am a huge fan of them. A few on this forum may refer to them as "auto-sinkers", but they may not maintain their boats enough. Been using them for at least 6-7 years in everything on the water. You need to backwash or squirt water even perhaps a soap solution from INSIDE the hull to blow out any contaminates. Once cleaned, I also also use a little air pressure from my compressor. If not cleaned out regularally, the little balls won't seat properly if dirty and water will slowly leak through if you were to stall in the pond.

Do they actually work? YES
Do they leak? YES, if you don't keep them clean

There are advantages and disadvantages to using them, but to each their own. You will always see them in my hulls.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they are great in my book.

I agree with what Scott has said and further to it with the fact that if you have sufficient contaminates in the hull to cause issues with the bailers then you will likely be ingesting same debris into your motor. Hull should be very clean anyway.

I have fitted them to a couple of boats and never removed any.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 AM
amax

Yep I gotta agree to.
Auto Bailers are widely used in racing boats to allow any water that splashes in, to get OUT, keeping weight to a minimum. You should always have enough flotation in the boat to keep it floating should it get dunked or a bailer leaks.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
nothinbetr2do

here's another vote for them, i use them in all my boats. like as already said, you just need to make sure nothing gets caught up in them
Old 07-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Dan S

All of the above.

Dan.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

yes, peace of mind
Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
exotica

...it appears that they are recommended. Is there any way of stopping them from taking in water if
the hull comes to a stop in the middle of the pond? This is my only concern that if the boat stays out
on the water for an extended period of time while being rescued, i wouldnt like the fact that more water
can enter the hull with the possibility of entering the radio box and the motor.

There is enough floatation in the hull that it wont sink but excess water ontop of what is already entering
the hull form general use is a concern.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Do you understand HOW they work? When propely maintained, they act as a one way valve. If your boat is just sitting in the water, water tries to push it's way through the bailer. As that happens, a little plastic ball pushes against a block, sealing it shut and preventing water from entering the hull. If water is INSIDE the hull, it will be "bailed" out as the boat is in forward motion. Same way full scale boats rid the water using a drain plug.

These things are "plug-n-play". You do not set them up, just drill your hole, glue it in there and leave it alone....except to clean it.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 PM
exotica

...thanks for the explanation Hemi. I understand how they work but the concern was water pushing its way back in.
Your explanation proves my test last night. Water does try to push its self back into the hull but only a very small
amount seems to enter.

Im now convinced they are a good thing and have installed them! Can see how they could sink a boat like some
others claim.