Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New Build

Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 AM
chrisholleyuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Build

Hi iam trying to build a boat. i have never done this before, my last was built for me.

I want to no how to set up a boat where to start an what to buy.

I would like the etti stinger 4mm but how do i set up the motor, how easy is it to do?

the mount graupner 700 aluminum one? how do i fix the flexi shaft to the coupling?

ruddrs which one should i buy? do i need an offset one?

thanks i want to be on the water as soon as possible

chris.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
TCHedOff

Default RE: New Build

What kind of boat (hull style) are you wanting to build?? Are you building from a set of plans (you should, if its your 1st build experience)?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM
chrisholleyuk

Sorry its an ABC super Hawaii, so its about a meter long 1000mmi had the gancia dei gancia but she was destroyed in a crash an is now at the bottom off the lake have some off it but not all,

Ther person who normal builds my boats has work an family commitments an cant do the build till next year so i will be with out a boat.

i have no plans as such just what i want it to look like
Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds like you need to keep to simpler boats. You might want to talk to martno1fan in the gas/petrol forum as he would probably be the best one to help you out as he's from the British Islands and has a few builds under his belt as well
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
chrisholleyuk

its the same as my okd boat, an run for the last 5years. But it was wrote off the other week so i got a new hull with the parts left. just dont no how to set it up again i will make a bad mess. the boat is not the problem just setting up
Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 AM
siberianhusky

Only one way to learn! Try it! Building and setting up your own boat will make you a better boater as you will know how everything works together, you will get a feel for when something is "not right". You also will not be at the mercy of a "build guy". Think of the better components you will be able to buy with the money you pay him to do it for you!
I built my first boat when I was 14, saved for an entire summer to buy a Dumas Deep Vee 20. Took all winter and shoveled hundreds of driveways but I had it running by spring. It looks intimidating but is really quite easy, just take you time, measure at least twice, walk away and think about it for a while then just do it.
You first step is deciding on motor and associated stuff, everything else kinda follows that, I usually set all my components in the hull and shift them back and forth to find a rough balance point. Everything is based on balance, I hate using lead to balance a boat and some of the parts are heavy enough that with the correct placement I can usually get a boat to come out damn close to the C.G. when it's done.
More or less common sense once you've figured out the locations, if it doesn't look right it probably isn't!
Not rocket science, brain surgery!
If the new one is the same as your old one you already have a step up on the build, you have already seen the boat put together and running, you know roughly where things should be.
Post lots of pictures as you're building and lots of people will be able to give you advice as you go!
Cheers
Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 AM
chrisholleyuk

Ok, ill try. the hull is the same the super hawaii Vs the gancia dei gancia but the insides are diffrent. gancia is a hollow hull where the super hawaii is all filled in with servo mounts, battery holder an then a seprate area for the motors an outdrive attached to the transom. how ever i will give it a go