Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Low Cost ESC For Brushed Motor ?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Low Cost ESC For Brushed Motor ?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
tri-squire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Cost ESC For Brushed Motor ?

What is the lowest cost reliable reversing 25-35 amp ESC for brushed motors, please ? I once paid $80.00 for a Novak - an outrageous price for such a cheap, simple device - plus it is water-cooled and I had to install a cooling arrangement.... having to water-cool an ESC just doesn't make good sense, as there would be no power dissipation in the unit if it switches the FETs completely on and off as it should. So I also prefer a unit that is fan or air cooled. Is there any such animal available ?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Low Cost ESC For Brushed Motor ?

Many people speak well of the Proboat 50A ESC.
There has yet to be a semiconductor made that is a perfect switch - good, yes, but none are perfect.  You also have to figure switching time, its short, but during the time that it is neither fully on nor fully off, the transistor is really a resistor, and behaving as such as regards heating.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM
tri-squire

Oh yes of course, but I personally have built similar switching circuits that powered very heavy loads with very little heating of the switching semis.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: tri-squire

Oh yes of course, but I personally have built similar switching circuits that powered very heavy loads with very little heating of the switching semis.
So have I. Makes you wonder......... There are some ESC manufacturers who seem to have smaller amps than the normally accepted standard, this could account for their need for extra cooling where others just work properly. If blowing air over an ESC is required, it is a great idea to make sure that the hot air has somewhere to go to and for the cooler air to be replenished from. Probably why I mostly stick to scale boats of modest performance.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
tri-squire

Probably done that way for the usual reason: cost. That seems to be the chief culprit in the engineering why-did-they's I have encountered over the years ;-)
I too prefer scale boats (and model planes also); I have a 30" Lindberg Line Chris Craft Constellation motor yacht (pictured below) powered by two old-school brushed motors run by a Novak ESC (which I probably oversized in my ignorance when I replaced the old resistive SC with it back in the early '90s). Not a hot-rod, but it will plane off and go around the pond at a fair clip. I also have a 48 year old 36" cabin cruiser that my father built when I was a toddler, which I am restoring and upgrading at this time; and that is the one for which I am seeking an ESC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58539.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	1482739