Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

BATTERIES GETTING HOT!!!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

BATTERIES GETTING HOT!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
tshark35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BATTERIES GETTING HOT!!!

can anyone help me please??

ive got a cml tigershark 920mm version and have got a few problems with it !! its got a orion method 15t motor and a sirius 12t esc .Also im using 7.2v packs some of the smaller mah packs are very hot after a very short running time . it also shuts down the esc as if left to cool it runs again , a 50 amp continuous esc is on order . is there a way i can use two packs together to stop a huge drain on a single battery i'm thinking thisis the cause of them getting hot!! (is this correct)?? any help would be appreciated as im fairly new to rc boats .

Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: BATTERIES GETTING HOT!!!

Yep, you have the right idea. You can parallel two packs together as long as they contain the same number of cells (6 each , right?) by hooking the pair of + together and the pair of - together. This will cut the current in half to each pack and drastically drop the batery temps. Make sure to seperate them for charging though.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 PM
tshark35

Hi

Thanks for message i will try it and hopefully it'll do what i want it too lol

Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

You can parallel two packs together as long as they contain the same number of cells (6 each , right?) by hooking the pair of + together and the pair of - together. This will cut the current in half to each pack and drastically drop the batery temps. Make sure to seperate them for charging though.
But make VERY sure that they are in the same state of charge when you couple them.  They will even out rapidly, but in doing so both batteries and wiring will warm up a LOT.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM
n.h.schmidt

Hi Again
While using two packs will double the mah ,it will also double the weight. You already have a very large boat for any single 05 car motor. You will likely move the heat to the motor or blow the esc. Two things should be done to reduce the amp draw and therefore the heat. I beleive your boat uses a gear box.You maybe could change the gear ratio. What is it now?
You could change the prop to something smaller. I have been through all of this years ago and what needs to be done is still the same.
n.h.schmidt
Old 08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
tshark35

Huge thanks for the information you've given me ! Have fitted a new esc that's 50 amp continuous and. Hopeing to get out with it and see how it goes ! Just hope I can find a model shop that can get me some different size pinnions to alter the gearing as haven't had much luck sourceing them yet ! The hunt still goes on for the perfect setup and I won't be beaten yet !!