Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting Back into the hobby... powertrain questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Getting Back into the hobby... powertrain questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Mad Cow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Back into the hobby... powertrain questions

Hi!

I'm just getting back into R/C boating, and I'm fully rebuilding an old Traxxas Nitro Vee that I used to have. I have stripped the thing to the plastic hull and am building my own internal frame. Before I fiberglass everything in, I am trying to make a decision on the powertrain. Here is where I need help...

I know there are pro's and con's to both electric and nitro, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Can you all discuss potential electric and nitro setups. Budget of up to $300 for entire powertrain including motor/engine, prop, ESC, 1 battery (flexible with justification)

I understand it's a small hull, but I am trying to pack a punch with this little boat (35mph?). I don't have much electric experience (as far as r/c boating, but I am an electrical engineer), but have experience with larger nitro and gas boats. This would be more of a toy to just take out whenever, wherever.

Please share any thoughts you may have.
Thanks!
-Michael
Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 PM
siberianhusky

Default RE: Getting Back into the hobby... powertrain questions

Stick a supertigre .18 marine in it, about 110$. A little over 200$ including pipe, prop, flywheel and coupler, .150 flex w. 3/16 stub shaft. Run it as many times a day as you feel like filling the tank. No charging time at the pond, no hovering about watching batteries charge. No esc's frying, batteries dying.
You can rebuild the entire supertigre engine should you need to, uses a hand held shaft starter, about 5$ for a bit you chuck in a cordless drill.
I just run for fun, I want as much time on the water as possible when I go boating. I find with my electric hydro I either need another 5 batteries, a couple more chargers, I really hate sitting around waiting for batteries before I can run again.
For small boats I really don't think you can beat the bang for the buck with these little nitro motors.
Also here in Canada it costs over 100$ for a middle of the road LiPo pack, the only alternative is ordering from China! Personally I'd rather keep as much of my money as possible in North America. I know in the end everything comes from China but at least I can support a North American middleman.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 AM
res3567

Good job on explaining......just like always....that is the engine that conmes in the Miss Vegas Duece
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Mad Cow

thanks! that sounds like a much better idea than another electric offer I got from another source (only 1hp motor, but requires a 12 cell battery... heavvvy!) not to mention it's very costly.