Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

CARBURATORS

Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
billdean2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARBURATORS

I have four (4) boats that I put away 20 some on years ago. I put oil in the engins before I pt them away. (We didn't have "after run" oil in those days.) I never thought about the carburators. I now have a K&B 7.5 inboard engin, a K&B 3,5, and two Veco .19 engins with frozen carburators, The K&B7,5 carb has been 1. Soaked in gasoline for several days, Baked in an oven for 24 hours @ 350 degres, soaked in isopropyl alcohol for 3 daysn and soaked in WD40 for the past three weeks. It still won't budge. I have not removed the other three carburators yet. Anyone have any more ideas as to how to get them back into action? Note: All the engins turn over. Appreciate any suggestions as to getting them functional.
Bill Dean
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 PM
cpt nj

Default RE: CARBURATORS

Heres my recipe that we use with old engines . It requires 1old crock pot that you'll never use again and prestone radiator fluid.You see where I'm going with this. place engine parts ,carbs. etc etc.etc into this bath turn it on high and let it set over night. The heated anti freeze removes all the oxydation. Do this out side so you dont contaminate your kitchen or living enviroment. It wouldn't be a bad idea to soak the engines too 20 years is a long time for an engine to sit with out oil , I would definitly replace the bearings too .Good luck NJ
PS buy the wifey a new crockpot and you get the the old one,every bodys happy

Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Dan S

Hey,
thats my idea...LOLOL

make sure you don't use premix antifreeze, it won't work.

Dan.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
rcguy1411

another trick is a little hair of the dog place parts in some nitro they will free up really quick as all the old caster oil will just disolve clean and oil you should be good to go
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM
advanced builder

They have a rubber O-ring that's probably stuck in the needle valve assembly , they need replacing too. You'll suck air, if not replaced.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
moparbarn

the crockpot idea is excellent! one of the best cleaning/unsticking methods going, if not THE best. i use low heat, high will darken aluminum, low leaves it shiny. although quality/brand of antifreeze may play into this....... hoppes #9 nitro solvent, for cleaning guns also works well. available at wal mart.