Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Boat Recomendations >

Boat Recomendations

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Boat Recomendations

Old 07-27-2003, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Recomendations

I race remote control cars, but during the summer I also spend alot of my time at lakes and rivers, waterskiing and having a good time. I just spendt two weeks up at Priest Lake in northern Idaho, and I realised how much fun it would be to have a remote control boat to drive around.

The cabin I was staying at is perfect, the water is 3-5 feet deep for several hundred yards, and it has a 150 foot dock.

I'm pretty sure I would want a deep V hull, because the water there is almost never perfectly smooth. I'd also like to go with nitro, I think. I race electric cars, but just for having fun with a boat I think gas would be better for me, as I wont have to cut the comm on the motor or charge batteries, wait for the motor to cool etc. It seems that for boats nitro would be faster and give longer run times also, so that will about do it for me.

I'm very new to boats, so I am looking for some recomendations on equipment, and maybe a few places to look for explanations of the basics. I already have an M8 and a spare reciever, but I will need everything else. I'd like to spend $300.

If you could give me any tips I'd appreciate it,
Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-27-2003, 05:36 PM

I also have a Hitec 925MG BB servo, this is a high torque, .08 transit servo...Would this work in boats? I'm not sure if they use the same size as cars...

Thanks
Old 07-27-2003, 05:41 PM

One more question: where should I look online to purchase boat stuff?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2003, 07:00 PM
My Feedback: (22)

hey josh,

I have just gotten back into boats but if your looking for fun the new nitro hammer from hobbico is a nice little boat. I just bought one haven't got a chance to run it. but it is built well for a RTR for about $219 from towerhobbies. Or the miss budwiser from horizonhobby.com for about $299.

if you want something a little faster I would have to say tunnel hull. Look at a boat modeler mag. to get some good info on where to buy. Or try towerhobbies.com
Old 07-28-2003, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's somewhere to check:

BBY Racing

BBY sells hulls, hardware, and ready to race kits.

As a side note though. If you go brushless electric, you can approach gas speeds and still use the batteries you already have. Though you'll almost certainly have to spend more than $300.

In a gas boat you should have enough room to use that servo.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:52 AM

Hi Josh,
I have four large scale gasoline powered boats.
I've had nitro boats and the problem with nitro is, you always have to make adjustments and the cost of the fuel.
One of my favorite boats is the Prather Empress Cabin Cruiser.
It is 40" long and is powered by a Homelite 25cc engine. Top speed is about 25mph. It's great looking and handles rough water
You can get the best price at www.hobbybarn.com...
It costs $799.00 and worth the money.
My latest purchase is the 1/8th. scale Miss Budweiser Hydro it's
awesome...
Hey, good luck in your quest for finding the right boat.
Remember; you can run all day on just a couple of bucks of gas.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:24 PM
My Feedback: (2)

hey josh im looking for a fast rtr gas boat any sugestions.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:25 PM
My Feedback: (2)

or anyone else
Old 07-28-2003, 07:59 PM
My Feedback: (22)

how fast and how much you looking to spend.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:38 PM

davejfred23,
Another one of my large scale boats is the ProBoat
ShockWave. I've done some mods to the boat and it runs at 45mph. www.horizonhobby.com is where you can check it out.
It's been my most reliable boat. Stock it runs 35mph.
The mods I've added are; header & tuned pipe, big bore carb and
high volume water cooling ring and a water pump. If I were to choose to have some mods on the engine, who knows how much faster it would run. 50's to 60's.
Good luck!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 01:01 PM

Josh if you have all the batteries and chargers that's half the battle. Look for a boat with a 700 series electric motor. No comm cutting and years worth of runs with no maintenance! And fast.
Anywhere from 18-30mph

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 07-30-2003, 08:11 PM
My Feedback: (26)

Default Gas & Nitro boats for sale

I have several Gas & Nitro boats for sale. RTR, partially built and bare hulls. E-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you a list and pictures.

Thanks,

Rip Holdridge
Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM

Default RE: Boat Recomendations

Hi Scot.
How dose your empress run do you still have it?I just got one off ebay for $400.00.needs some work.Hope to add trule scale like features.Did you add any things to yours?
Any pitures of it in action? Let me know.
Thanks Tony[:-]
Old 02-29-2004, 11:27 PM

Hi All,
QUESTION[8D] I purchased A dumas Donzi v65 sport fisherman kit about 3 years ago.I'm a boat lover but, I'm not great a building[&o].This boat seems a bit to hard for me Did any one of yous guys build this boat or know of some one who has built it an saved pictures of the building progress.I need some pitures to go by blue prints,and words don't help.[].I could would anyone help me please[sm=drowning.gif] Untill then I'll be sitting on a crub.
Thanks Tony[sm=disappointed.gif]
Old 03-01-2004, 04:14 PM

Hi Tony,
Yes, I still have my Empress.
I've added some navigation lights as well as running lights so I can run her at night. It's very sharp when she's lit up.
I don't have a digital camera but if I did, I'd send some photos. The Empress Cabin Cruiser is a very well made boat
and a pleasure to run.

I hope you enjoy your's as much as I do mine. Have had her for four years now and still like new.

Regards;
Old 03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
My Feedback: (1)

A very strong recomendation is an AC models Waveslave with a 3.5 outboard or even a 7.5 inboard. I have one I have been running for the past 16 years and I have done very little in maintenance to it. The years I did not use it for racing I had a 20oz tank in the boat and would run it for 20+ minutes each time. It is fast 30+ and great in all water. Your Hitec servo is perfect for the steering and any standard servo can be used for throttle.
Go to our web site below and in the links page it is the first link (AC BOATS).

out of my 10 nitro and 4 electric boats this it the one that has been the most dependable and enjoyable to run.

Brad

www.members.shaw.ca/mbram
Old 03-03-2004, 06:42 PM

Default wanna go fast?

check out www.seaducerboats.com these are competion racing hulls. very fast and considering how fast they are pretty darn stable. easy to setup. if you find a nitro boat club close to you most probably you'll see on of these boats. yeah nitro fuel is kind of expensive but most fun things are besides the smell of NITRO is so much better than gas. gas has it problems too. i've seen guys pul and pull and pull and pull and never start to make the heat. at least with nitro you'll have a started doing the work. ROFL find some knowledgeable people and they'll be glad to help. goodluck.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:58 PM

It's not that hard to pull start a gas motor. If your gas motor is tuned properly, you won't have to pull and pull and pull and pull. Gas is A LOT easier than nitro, and probably more fun!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:35 PM

anything that is high performance or high output can be finicky. those super modified gasser, i've seen those guys fight starting them, tunning them and blowing them. lean run, there go the rings. so gas is not trouble free either. isn't a gas modified like 700 or 750 buy the time you pay for motor, modifacations, pipe and header?
Old 03-04-2004, 07:13 PM

Yeah but isn't nitro fuel $700 or $750 each time you go out to the pond?
Old 03-06-2004, 02:32 PM

Christ, the guy is looking for a boat recomendation and you clowns turn it into a nitro vs. gas pissing contest,Both nitro and gas have thier advantages and disadvantages,9 times out of 10 boats problems are caused by the owners ignorance or negligence its not the fuels fault.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:54 PM

For the best all around boat for speed, rough water conditions, and easy hop up go with the Enforcer! You can pick one up at Warehouse Hobbys. You will never find a better all aruond boat! the price is around $600 that includes everything exept gas!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:54 AM

Hi,
I have a prather empress.I got it off ebay for around $200.plus change.Great deal!!!The boat looks good.Engine runs find.He said it did need some minor work.So I got it and with out hessatation started to work on it.The structure is intacted,but the fiberglassing is a nightmare![:@]!!Freedie cruger wouldn't have gotton it[:'(]!I don't know what prather was thinking when they put this boat together.I knew that there was some stress cracks,but I didn't know just how bad it was going to become[&o].Were ever the fiberglass did not adhere cause pockets of air.This my friend is a bad very bad thing.At first you won't see it but after of haveing it stored away.Then taken out,run for the summer.The process repeated.The fiberglass weakens like all things of coures.But remember the air pockets.Here is were the stress cracks come to play[>:].When you notice them and run your finger on it.OOPS there it goes.[X(].lLike a hollow egg.You then notice that there is about a 1/4 inch ofplay between the hull structure and the fiberglass it's self.[].What to do.You start peeling and peeling an pleeling an peeling Before you know it you have taken of more than you can chew.[].has any one one else gone threw this?if so what would you recommend.If anyone have pictures of there empress.With mods,like lights,railings etc.Could you send me pictures.so I can get ideas.My email is [email protected]ks Tony
Old 04-14-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Donzi Z-65 --Dumas

Hi Tony,

I built the Donzi Z-65 about 3 yrs ago, and know what you are going through. The instrucions were not easy to follow, and seem to be missing something. Needless to say, I worked through it only to run out of funds about 90 percent built. Everything except the speed contol and radio was installed. Now this stuff is on the way, and I have to do some storage repairs. Would be happy to send pics. I dont have any during construction, but think I can help you. I hope to finish mine before May 2004. I am using twin Astroflight 25s' and motorcycle batteries.

Greg
Old 04-14-2004, 10:06 AM

its as simple as this guys gas is the only way www.mhxusa.com www.whobbies.com