RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Radio Gear, Need opinions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/10664585-radio-gear-need-opinions.html)

BigBoats507 08-10-2011 01:08 PM

Radio Gear, Need opinions

1 Attachment(s)
here are my electronics for my 62" custom, give me some opinions or tips. for the steering servo im using the long diamond for more steering response and for the throttle too,

Transmitter: 2.4GHz TTX-240 2 channel Tactic, nothing special affordable and works

Reciever: Simple 3 channel 2.4GHz TR-324 TACTIC, again works well and is affordable

Servos 1 & 2: Power HD 1501MG High Speed servos with a ridiculous amount of torque, paid almost 50 bucks per servo (With shipping)

Side note: Pulled a big bin of sugar with one servo on 75% battery, should work :D

Justaddwata 08-10-2011 05:52 PM

RE: Radio Gear, Need opinions

Quick for those servos[link=http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1057] shows them at $19 each[/link]. Torque rating is 240oz/in which is about where you need to be for a gas boat.

You might consider adding an Engine Kill to the third channel - might save you from an out of control boat (Battery failure, servo failure etc). They are not very expensive and may save you a fortune in lost boat and damages.

BigBoats507 08-11-2011 07:44 AM

do you need a 3 channel radio for that ?? and when I bought them a year ago thats how much they were, maybe because they just came out when I bought them possibly ??

Justaddwata 08-11-2011 08:11 AM

Sorry - thought I had read that yours was a 3 channel radio.

most Engine Kills use a spare channel to monitor the radio connection. It is when this connection is disturbed or dies completely that the engine kill relay will short out the ignition and stop the motor dead.

BigBoats507 08-11-2011 08:39 AM

well if I get a clutched motor, when the motor turns to idle the prop will stop so its goiod for a "Lose of connection" but not good if the boat flips but I dont plan on flipping it anyway.

mfr02 08-12-2011 03:05 AM

Not planning to flip a boat is a good intention.  However, Murphy's law applies - "If it can happen, it will".<div>If you can do something to reduce or eliminate unwanted effects, it's best to do it.</div>

BigBoats507 08-12-2011 07:29 AM

well theres no way im buying another radio for 3 channel so I was thinking something like this your gonna love it!<div>
</div><div>a cylinder made out of pvc standing striaght up in the boat with switch in at the top and ball inside the cylinder, boat tips ball falls and hits engine kill switch :D Awesome, brilliant Idea! on problem is its adding more weight! :/</div>But it would shut it uff before water enters motor

Dan S 08-12-2011 07:52 AM

That would work,
however the kill switch that Matt was referring to is not an actual physical switch (some do combined both), it is an electronic engine kill switch that is connected to the 3rd channel and to the coil.
if the voltage drops too low (fail safe kicks in), same for radio loss, also engine will stop running if for some reason the battery pack becomes disconnected (total loss of power), and you can turn the engine off using the third channel on the radio.

Here is a link where a fair amount of people buy these kill switches, the one I will link you too is the Kit #2, they have 3 different V2 kits and made for 2, 3, and 4 channel radios.
Regardless if you have a kill switch or not, you must setup your system to kill your engine using the trigger on your radio by braking.
keep in mind that your radio comes with a built-in fail safe that will close your carb in case of radio loss (signal) or low voltage, but NOT total power loss, that's where the added electronic kill switch takes over.

you would be looking at kit #2 for boats ( you pick what version you need)

http://www.killerrc.com/products/gas_killswitch.php

Dan.

BigBoats507 08-12-2011 09:15 AM

Thanks alot for the help! now I got a basic idea on what to buy !<div>
</div>

ken webb 08-12-2011 11:56 AM

Try HobbyPartz.com for good cheap radios. Skyfly has a &35 3 chl computer radio a lot of guys are using.

madmorgan 08-12-2011 02:38 PM

i have the fg35 it is a awesome tx rx for 35 bucks from hobbypartz

BigBoats507 08-12-2011 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info! importunately I have to buy a truck next year so if 30 bucks isnt needed to be spent than it wont be. I will be tunning my motor with the electronics in and then unscrewing the idle screw and will be using a switch that can be clicked by the servo reversing!

zazza 08-14-2011 10:49 PM

Can any one advise about the FS-GT3B radio from fly sky?? it's remarkably cheap for the <div>+ve comments i found??</div>

zazza 08-14-2011 11:13 PM

by the way....its for a gas boat!!!   Is 2.4 g ideal for water??

madmorgan 08-15-2011 05:09 AM

yeah zazza what do you want to lnow about it  there is actually a video where the guy dunks the rx into a glass of water submerged and is operating the servos etc. its a nice led radio yo cand set end points braking etc etc i promise you wont go wrong with 1

zazza 08-18-2011 08:05 AM

thanks....any idea on the range??<div>
</div><div>this is my first on a forum</div>

madmorgan 08-18-2011 08:35 AM

i have had mine out pretty far easily x 10  the length of a standard oval race setup if not further and never had a issue and that was standing on a boat dock im sure if i was above say on a hill it would do further

madmorgan 08-18-2011 08:37 AM

i will have the gf get in car and drive off will set the trip and find out cuz i have never range checked it will get back to you ok

zazza 08-18-2011 09:11 AM

thx a lot<div>
</div><div>i should receive it soon, and it's the only thing remaining to get my boat on water.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

madmorgan 08-18-2011 09:39 AM

i had gf drive away at another road .3 miles on trip she had good reception  that was line of sight she had to turn she went a whole block up this is after line of site she lost it then as she came back  she had same results i would say judging by the  line of site alone even a 1/8th scale you will be straining to see the boat you will probably only see the rooster then with the added losing the site through who knows how many houses probably 20 houses we still had good reception so if that is not good i dont know what is lol

zazza 08-18-2011 10:27 AM

that was a fast response!!!<div>
</div><div>thanks a lot. I shouldn't have any problems then... Can't wait to get back in the water!!</div><div>This was my first forum discussion and it helped a lot.</div><div>
</div><div>keep it up !</div>

madmorgan 08-18-2011 11:01 AM

you wont be dissapointed with the radio

zazza 08-25-2011 03:03 AM

I received the radio and fitted in my boat........maybe i'll have time to try it out this weekend.<div>
</div><div>Any idea on how to make a range check on the FS-<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">GT3B??? </span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">I'm used to the RF test button on my other receivers??</span></div>