RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/11411721-bro-rc-surfer-custom-boards.html)

YPC 02-15-2013 10:25 PM

Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys !........From Dominic Young - aka - Bro ********........Young'z Performance Craft - Cape Town - Sunny South Africa

I will be building this thread to post helpful info, pictures and videos of my rcSurfing custom board designs - builds - experiences and surf STOKE adventures !

My web address - http://bro********.com/ for info......for more info about my Bro Surfer Custom boards and Prices..............

My YouTube page - http://www.youtube.com/user/formulaish has well over 25 rcSurf video's which I have made over the past months - showing Bro in action.

My e-mail address - [email protected]

Mobile # - +27 83 325 7884

I look forward to helping as many folk as I can get to enjoy this great Sport - whether its build one for you or help you build one for yourself !

Please feel free to ask any questions that will help you get rcSurfing soonest !

WARNING ! rcsurfing is known to be addictive with 'NO' known cure.

Bro ********
Share the STOKE !

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...63/Rp42333.jpg

YPC 02-15-2013 10:39 PM

re: Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

To get things going here is a video explanation of my 2013 designed board - Shared'A"

http://youtu.be/XVjMsjz0cxY Bro ********
Share the STOKE !

YPC 02-15-2013 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is one of the fist surf sessions I got to enjoy with the 'Shared'A'....

Well capable of surfing anything from as small as 1ft to I would say 10 ft face........as long as you can get out and see it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Spx7wJe1Y Bro ********
Share the STOKE !

YPC 02-15-2013 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was a session to test the boards ability in lumpy onshore surf.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNwU6ecMPyw Bro ********
Share the STOKE !

Jimi Findrix 02-15-2013 11:08 PM

Cool thread Dom.

I will be watching your adventures.

JIMI

Hughengland 02-15-2013 11:41 PM

Aloha Dom,

I know that you have some of the best year round conditions as any place in the world.
I wish I could rc Long Beach....................maybe one day!

Hugh & Silver Surfer

YPC 02-16-2013 02:10 AM

Hey JIMI......thanks for pulling in.....

I will be watching your progress.....please keep us posted.

Bro !

YPC 02-16-2013 02:14 AM

Howzit Hugh.....thanks for pulling in !

Your'e right - we have plenty surf spots nomatter which way the wind is blowing.........I have 'just come back ' from long beach - a noce 4-6 ft face.....to crowded to get in ...........will try later this evening around 6pm - maybe it will be quieter. - I will film for sure and have a few great waves for you.......love to have you over some day...... you're always welcome !

Bro !

bearcave 02-16-2013 02:45 AM

hi YPC
looking forward to your adventures
bearcave

YPC 02-16-2013 02:52 AM

Hey BC.......Thanks for pulling in.......this might be a great place for you to hang out and pick up some tips for your first Custom build.

Bro'

YPC 02-16-2013 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Where does one start ?............

NOTE:

This thread is solely focusing on the hand made glass over foam 'Custom built' ********...... if you have -or- are looking at one of the Production built Japanese or Chinese made plastic type boards then the RCU forum - RC Surfer http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55..._1/key_/tm.htm is going to be the best place for you to get all your required info. It is filed with info and members that have years of experience modifying them to be Sea worthy and Surf ready.

to be continued /

A size comparison of my Custom Bro ********s to the discontinued production board.

bearcave 02-16-2013 03:31 AM

where does one start indeed...

Yes I guess it probably has all been said and done regarding the production now nonproduction boards.... if keen to get one happening all you have to do is the search and research and yeh it takes time but nothing good comes cheap and easy hey.

You and others have mentioned just get in there and do it custom wise but i don't have time to build 10 boards that don't work so am trying to get my first one kinda close to a goer with the plastic boards experience i've had so far and what i've seen over last few years custom wise.... then build my next ones closer to what i want.

Lots happening atm.... might just shutup and watch all new sites and happenings... guess i'l be hangin everywhere for a while just watchin.

all good YPC... regards bearcave</p>

YPC 02-16-2013 03:46 AM

Hey BC.......stay close - I'll guide you through......abc.......to........Z

I'm going to start with the process next !

Bro !

YPC 02-16-2013 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Howzit Guys......especially Hugh !....who has actually surfed this spot some years back.......it is 'very cold' and the wave can pound. Earlier this morning, further down the beach at a break called Dunes, a surfer broke his back in a wipe out ( fast - hard - shallow sand banks) had to be 'airlifted' to hospital.

I got back down to Long Beach around 6pm this evening, hoping that the surfer numbers would be down. Well, they were still hogging the peaks -AND - the wind had come up to a very strong 20 Knt SE off shore, holding up the inside 3-4 ft faces until they just 'crashed' down over the shallow sand banks.

Well !I said to Lisa-Marie "Now is a good time for a 'Thump Test"............LOL

Overall:

I was very happy with the boards performance in these conditions. Handled jumping the powerful white water effortlessly - only weighing in at 2.2 kg's it managed to get onto and stay on the windy wave faces for the most of it, even when surfing flat out 'into' the wind blowing at 20Knts. Good speed and stability on the vertical face. Ran out the deep hollow faces well, without any pearling ( nose diving) self righted fast, even in the white water. I liked the rail to rail riding ( lean) in the turns, definitely presents an authentic surf ride style. No damage to the board of Bro - no leaks ! ready to surf another day !

Extracted a few action pictures from the footage........that 'moment in time !

Always better to view it on YouTube ( picture will be in a better frame)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8UCxJFLhGE Bro'

Jimi Findrix 02-16-2013 06:31 PM

Awesome Dom.

YPC 02-17-2013 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks JIMI.......hope you are having a good day ! has your treatment started yet ?

I'll try to keep the STOKE going until you are 'back, shredding at Fences'.....its amazing how much happens on a wave in a mere moment in time. This little - off the lip air - reentry sequence, happens in a nano second......'timming' is everything !

Bro

YPC 02-17-2013 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Where were we 'before I went for a session.........?

Planning your Build.........THINK ABOUT IT ?

Think twice - Act once !.......great advice.

Before one starts hacking away at that block of foam, there needs to be a serious time for some sole searching and brain storming.

Wanting what someone else has may look viable watching them surf and enjoy it - BUT - it may not work out quite the same for you.

I'll throw around a few of the thoughts that help me decide what board I am going to build "before I build it"......in no order of priority.

Money (cost) is always a good place to start.......especially nowadays.......bigger simply costs more....so if money is a consideration for you - you need to work out the economic implication of your build.
after playing around with a few boards I would recommend the 3s Lipo's to be the smallest battery size used in a Custom build. The 2s Lipos do perform well - but - the Amp draw is high using the required higher kv motors, hence you diminish your run time. If you have another rc model- car - heli - plane or boat that uses 2s - it may very well be a good idea to design your board around the same batteries to cut back on the initial cost outlay. Other than that, as seen in my video's...the 3s gives me 20 minute run times and the batteries are reasonably priced, offering high mAh capacity and C rating ( discharge). As time marches on,the margin seems to be lessening as we go up in cell count - but it is their. Marrying the correct kv motor to your choice of battery is very important.
25-30 000 rpm (no load) is the recommended safe operating rpm for a brush-less motor. It is also the desired range to run a suitably sized small prop to reduce prop torque and cavitation. The lower rated kv motors cost more than the higher kv motors and often are hard to come by. Once you get into the 4s/5s battery power source you will be running motors with kv's as low as 2000kv - 1500 kv respectively. The safe average size required ESC would be around 120Amps for 3 - 5s. You will want a spare motor - spare ESC and at least 4-6 batteries - if you are going to take this sport on 'seriously' The bigger boards also need a bigger' steering servo....which adds to cost.
So do the Maths carefully.....if you have a budget.

Actual size also needs to be considered seriously...........Big is simply Bigger.......but not necessarily better in every instant. Besides the economic cost, their are a number of size considerations when it comes to what size of board you will be building. Obviously the bigger the board - the heavier it will be and greater the surface drag - so you will need more power (greater cost) as reflected above. Bigger boards are easier to see at a distance and should be able to handle bigger waves and conditions.
Because an ******** is not able to transfer weight from nose to tail - lifting the nose - the length of the board in relation to the wave's face radius is 'relevant' - Like ridding a long board in small hollow shore break - you can cruise straight down the line easily -but- pulling a tight turn with to much weight forward - will cause a pearl ( nose dive)
Smaller board sizes 600 -700 mm's (2ft) fit easier into the 1-3 ft wave face ....so if you are likely to surf smaller surf on average, a 900mm (3ft) long board may not work as well for you, rather being better suited for 3ft upwards wave face.
Consistently finding ridable surf with 3-6 ft face waves in the suburbia surf spots is near impossible for myself, They are always crawling with amped up surfer's at any given time.
Be sure that you have a good idea of what surf size you will be averaging and work around that. I would say that it is easier to ride a shorter board on a bigger wave than what it is to ride a longer board on a smaller wave.
Bigger size means bigger surface area, which also means that you will need 'more strength' in the build overall - bigger surface areas will receive greater impact - so in the case of your surfer Dude for example - the bigger he gets - the harder he will get smacked and the more load he will suffer - you will therefore have to be built him 'especially 'strong'
Traveling on holiday with a board can be a challenge. If you fly to a holiday destination, you may want to keep your board with you as hand luggage to prevent damage. 700mm long may be the limit to fit into your hand luggage. (You may have to remove the electronics and place that in the Cargo luggage for security reasons).
The bigger boards will have to go into the Cargo Hold and require special packaging to protect it...just think about how you will be best comfortable getting around with your board to fully enjoy it where ever you may have the opportunity to enjoy it......

Based on the above considerations - I run a 2900kv motor, set at 0 degree timing- 120A ESC - 3s ( 5800mAh) 30C Lipo batteries....30mm(1.4) prop.... average 20 minute run time with a board 700mm ( 28") long weighing around 2.2 kg's ( 4.4 lbs) 'Ready to Surf - No overheating or battery heating/swelling problems. The board size and Surfer is impressive - gives me good visibility and presence in the surf spots I surf . I comfortably surf wave faces from 1ft - 6ft - and -it s not a hassle transporting or shipping.

Building the actual board - be it is bigger or smaller - is all the same !

THINK ABOUT WHAT COST & SIZE WILL BE BEST SUITED 'FOR YOU' !

Now we have a better idea just how much foam we need for that 'custom board'............................................

Bro'

YPC 02-17-2013 11:27 AM

What shape should the board be ?.........good question, that will definitely recieve numerous answers, as with full scale boards.....their are many various shapes that have been seen to work. It simply is a case of what are you wanting and what works best for you.
Once again.....considering a few fundamentals is important.......if you want more than a 'looks like' board.

Besides the givens -I have developed a few shape design detail preferences of my own whilst trying out various designs and feel that they are working well in producing the performance I want from a board. I am certainly more of a functional/technical designer - choosing to seek better performance over any cosmetic/scale/standard surfboard look.
After all -I'm designing and building a '********'.......to surf waves.....not a scale surfboard actually being surfed by myself.

I have to state this often overlooked FACT upfront and urge you to always keep it in mind - rc Surfboards are not surfed like full scale surfboards !!!!

-Full scale surfboards are driven by constantly 'sliding down the wave face (Gravity) the steeper the wave face - the faster you go- and are steered by the combination of fixed fins - rails - and most important - the surfers precise weight displacement.

=rc Surf boards are driven by a propeller which creates a thrust line (drive angle) and steered by a rudder.........just like any other rcboat............

TWO VERY DIFFERENT SCENARIO'S .............requiring very different thought and approach.

The challenge is !.........even though the boards are powered and steered differently - !!! - we want the rc Surfers ride to look as 'authentic' on the wave as any real full scale surfer would - as well as cope with the challenging demands of getting to the peak of the wave.....most effectively and efficiently.

A tall order for a small board...........

to be continued /

Bro

Jimi Findrix 02-17-2013 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: YPC

Thanks JIMI.......hope you are having a good day ! has your treatment started yet ?

I'll try to keep the STOKE going until you are 'back, shredding at Fences'.....its amazing how much happens on a wave in a mere moment in time. This little - off the lip air - reentry sequence, happens in a nano second......'timming' is everything !

Bro
<u>Hi Dom,</u>
I saw that sequence on your vid, very cool.
I had my first radiation treatment on Friday, so number 2 today. Having 25 in total.
I start some chemo on Wednesday as well.
I am lucky to be stayimg at a really nice lodge run by the Cancer Council, it has a bus to take me into the hospital for treatment.
Feeling ok at the moment but that may change in a couple of weeks.
Keep the cool vids and pics coming, it will help me to handle my time here.

JIMI

Hughengland 02-17-2013 08:32 PM

Aloha Dom,

Best rc surfing pictures I have seen to date & now others can see why Long Beach is a place to get solid waves like Hawaii

Your new custom rocks

Maui has big waves but strong side onshore winds to boot kept me out of the water this weekend.

Aloha
Hugh

YPC 02-17-2013 09:58 PM

Hey JIMI.....thanks for the 'rating'

I am pleased to hear that you're treatment has started.... before you know it, the six weeks will be over and you will be adding to those awesome rcsurf pictures of yours once again !
You are in our prayers JIMI......I'll do my best to keep the video's coming ! Don't drive everyone 'crazy' on the bus....LOL I guess it's a distance to walk .....LOL

Hugh...... that's a big 'High Five' coming from you........Thanks !..........I'll pass that compliment on to Lisa-Marie.
I'm very happy with the board, the more I surf it , the more I realize its potential.
To stay away from the surfers I was surfing more to the outside of the peaks which made it difficult to enjoy much face.......mostly close outs.
Surfing 'Long Beach is great - BUT - its almost like a 24/7 gas station - its always busy- jammed with surfers.......The ideal time is early in the morning - during the week - when all the students are in class - but - that is when I am tied up teaching my kids and Lisa -Marie is not available to film.......

Winter brings bigger swell and the off -shore North Westerly wind into False Bay.....This year I am ready and able - waiting for it !

Bro

YPC 02-18-2013 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Board Shape Continued...........

My preferred shape design:

What I want from a board is for it to : ride nose up - tail down - lean rail to rail in the turns - mount big white water as easily as possible - be able to ride out the hollow of the wave without pearling to easy (nose diving) have good turning response and control - deflect well off the lip of a wave - good speed and acceleration - right itself easily and fast - be strong and durable - have efficient run times .

"The main point to always remember is that 'we ride waves' - not flat water ! so how we set the board up should be with the wave face radius in mind".

When ridding a wave face......the shape of the running surface if different (radiused) and the plane is elevated ( vertical).......Due to this.....if your CG is to far forward.....the board will pearl (nose dive) easier when driving down the face, as in effect, the CG will be shifted even further forward, pressing the nose down. Added to that, if their is no positive tail rocker, or you have wide width in the tail, the tail of the board will be lifted up easier and sooner,pressing the nose down further, intern initiating the dreaded pearl even 'sooner'......

The boards I built built to 'run flat' still do ride the wave face well - but - more so when ridding parallel to the length of the wave face, as in barrel ridding , straight down the line etc. I did find though, when wanting to pull a few moves of the lip in the tighter hollower sections and come straighter down the face, that the board would often pearl quite easily
The ridding aesthetics of the turn is also all important to me - I like the tail to drop in the turn, which is less apparent with a flat tail ....or forward CG....hence many boards turn very boat like (upright and flat)

In my more recent builds, I have narrowed the tail for less surface area to improve lean and reduce lift. I started reintroducing positive rocker in the tail. a small amount in the previous board and a tad more in the last build......At WOT ( wide open throttle) on flat water both the boards tend to skip over the water surface at speed - BUT - on the vertical wave face they certainly seem to perform better overall.
I have surfed the board in various conditions, as can be seen in the videos - and I can certainly see that the added tail rocker helps me ride out of some vertical situations ,that I would have otherwise pearled. The wider nose with the 80mm's of rocker also adds value to this ability.

Video explanation :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVjMsjz0cxY&amp;list=UUGF0z9XOc-eCEjP1qQh-aig&amp;index=5
Started this one to-day - bought and paid for - Going all the way to California USA.

Its a good idea to make hard board templates of what you have in mind for your board shape and rocker. It helps keep the design accurate.

Some ask about the color of the foam. Due to wanting the desired nose rocker I cant find surfboard foam that is thick enough. I have the polyurethane foam specially blown.
It is double the strength and density of standard surfboard foam which is great for durability and shaping.

Bro

bearcave 02-18-2013 11:58 PM

Great info YPC

I know i said i was just watchin not commenting but couldn't help myself oops.

With all the cats out of their bags and info everywhere, 2013 is shaping to be the year to build one's own.... and if i don't build my own this year i'm going into rc lawnmowers... lol

best regards bearcave

YPC 02-19-2013 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glassing the board ..............

When it comes down to the "How to do it?"........do as my 4 year old daughter Cassidy - Ray' often tells every one !........GOOGLE IT !......Their are a number of great 'Glassing a surfboard' tutorials on YouTube.........and a number of different resin explanations.....lots to learn.

If you have not glassed before......practice on some scrap foam first a few times to gain confidence - make sure that you use the correct mixing ratio and have enough premixed resin for the job - and that the room temperature is above 20 C .

Many folk comment by saying how much they appreciate the authentic glass over foam look of my boards - I enjoy this process and do my best to get it to look near perfect.

Layup - most full scale surfboards only have one layer of 6 ounce cloth - I use 2-3 layers on either side to ensure strength in certain areas - the bottom of the housing needs to be rigid when hollowed out - as well as the area around the rudder post tube and the flange rim.
The boards also need more weight than being 'light' so adding extra weight by way of overall strength is a good thing - ensuring a strong board.

Make sure that the cloth is whetted out right through by using a squeegee to press it through. Also don't leave the surface WET ! .......when you are done.....you should be able to see the braid pattern of the cloth. Once this process is complete top and bottom - a sanding coat of resin is applied to fill in the cloth.

Be sure to cut the cloth accurately so that the Wrap around the rails is consistent and neat - not reaching to far onto the opposite side.

I lay my printed decals directly onto the foam - whetting the surface out with resin before placing the decals down and then covering them with the layers of cloth.

The pin lines get put on before the sanding coat,

The pencil line is scribed on the foam - it will be covered by the pod - helps keep the required accuracy of the build.

YPC 02-19-2013 12:27 AM

Hey BC.......I really enjoy chatting with you...... don't hold back on my account.......it cant all be 'work'

Your right !.......their is plenty of info flying around to equip yourself with the knowledge to build a Custom...... I hope this blog will add value to your build.
I have it in mind to do a DVD as well in the future - but want to make a PROJECT of that - plus supply the foam - templates - etc....

Come on ! - you got your block of foam out before I got going with this one - and look how far I am already......... remember ! I teach 4 kids - run them around to their various sports - go to Gym - build rc boats and parts for order........and rcSurf......so ! .......you have 'no excuses....LOL ..........get going.

Feel free to share your build on this forum......and to ask as many dumb questions as you like.

Bro