RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Advice (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/11674769-advice.html)

CptZnk 02-01-2020 09:03 AM

Advice

Need advice.
Very new to this.
I bought a cheap boat just to try. I'm hooked!
I have access to a 2acre pond.
My question, when I'm using the boat it tends to go crazy. I can put to controller down and not touch it and the boat keeps running.
I do have a cell tower close by. Is that the problem?

Ron Olson 02-01-2020 10:50 AM

You pay for what you get. Cheap boats have poor radio systems, some still on 27 or 49 Mhz.
More info on what boat you bought would help immensely.

CptZnk 02-01-2020 12:00 PM

It's a boat from Harbor Freight.
$35. Yes, its a 27 mhz
Like I said, I'm a newby.
Yes, electric.

Hydro Junkie 02-01-2020 12:37 PM

Yes, it's a toy grade boat that uses bargain basement parts. Your whole boat, ready to run, cost less than a "hobby grade" receiver, just to put it in context. Now, with that said, IF you really want to get into the hobby, you need to make a few choices:
1) Do you want to build or buy a boat? Both options have benefits and drawbacks
2) What kind of power do you want to use? There are electric, nitro, gas and wind
3) Do you want a boat that you can run on your pond or to compete with?
4) What kind of hull do you want? There are vee hulls(both deep and shallow), displacement hulls(usually more scale like ships such as tugs and the like), hydroplane, outrigger hydroplane, catamaran and tunnel hulls. Once again, each has it's advantages and drawbacks
Let us know which way you are thinking and we can help you more

CptZnk 02-01-2020 01:59 PM

Wow, a lot more to it than what I thought.
Have to do some more research.
Thanks for the info.
Will be in touch

Hydro Junkie 02-01-2020 03:37 PM

One other thing that will help. If you could tell us where you live, just the general area will work, we could possibly hook you up with a club or boater in your area that could help you out

CptZnk 02-02-2020 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12580364)
One other thing that will help. If you could tell us where you live, just the general area will work, we could possibly hook you up with a club or boater in your area that could help you out

South central part of Ohio.
Close big town, Athens Oh

Hydro Junkie 02-02-2020 05:10 AM

Okay, that works. I've got a club in Cincy and another one in Dayton, if that will work.
You can find contact information for both here:
https://www.impba.net/district-2-off...and-clubs.html

Justaddwata 02-03-2020 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by CptZnk (Post 12580303)
Need advice.
Very new to this.
I bought a cheap boat just to try. I'm hooked!
I have access to a 2acre pond.
My question, when I'm using the boat it tends to go crazy. I can put to controller down and not touch it and the boat keeps running.
I do have a cell tower close by. Is that the problem?

Welcome to the hobby!! Big or small it is always fun to be by the water. I have had plenty of fun with a $30 electric with my son.
In response to your question - indeed there can be some significant glitches to radios when operating near cell towers. One pond I have used is adjacent to a large tower and it brought plenty of gremlins to even the most expensive of radios we used. Have also had issues in the past operating near a department store.
Some food for thought - no matter the size and value of boat - be sure to have a reliable means of recovering the boat if she gets stuck in weeds or has an issue. We have lost too many boaters swimming for a stalled boat - and cold water will drown even the best swimmer.
Certainly check out local clubs. NAMBA and IMPBA both are national organizations and you can see and learn plenty visiting a meet.