RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   New build questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/11691076-new-build-questions.html)

DHL131 06-13-2021 05:28 PM

New build questions

I was given a bare fiberglass hydro hull and its quite large, about 4 ft long. I want to make it electric powered and wondered what recommendations you may give for a motor set up. I've had a 1,12 scale nitro and found it to be too messy and loud. I live on a lake and would prefer the softer tone of an electric so I don't annoy the neighbors.

Hydro Junkie 06-14-2021 08:22 AM

I love it, you're right in the middle of a hydroplane model hub. There are two clubs in the area that race boats similar in size to yours, R/C Unlimiteds, which I'm a member of, races 1/8th scale nitro and electric boats and one that runs larger 1/6th scale boats. Sorry, don't remember the name of the second club at the moment. I do have a suggestion for you however, that would be much better than doing this through the forum. This Sunday, R/C Unlimiteds will be racing at Lake Waughop in Fort Steilacoom Park in South Tacoma. I know there will be guys there that can help you figure out what you have, what you will need to get it going and how to set it up to run well. We will be at the park starting around 8:00 in the morning and we will be racing until at least 4:00 in the afternoon, probably later, so bring your boat and come on down. We have a few guys that might even be able to hook you up with the parts and pieces that you need. Just out of curiosity, what lake do you live on?

ABX131 06-14-2021 02:01 PM

I live on Lake Sawyer in Black Diamond. Thanks for the heads up on this coming weekend. Will see what I can do in getting down there. Need all kinds of input on this build.

Hydro Junkie 06-14-2021 02:32 PM

REALLY!!! Lake Sawyer? I had an aunt and uncle that lived on the cove on the west side of the lake, walking distance to the Lake Sawyer grocery. They're both gone now, him from old age and dementia, her due to a stroke. Both lived to be around 90 so can't complain about that. Last I heard, my cousins were going to put the house up for sale as none wanted to pay the taxes on it :(
Now, getting back to this weekend, if you check the R/C Unlimiteds website, they will be posting information about the race such as where to park, how to get there, etc, in the next few days. The website is https://www.rcunlimiteds.com/

DHL131 06-14-2021 05:13 PM

I will PM you later in the week about this weekend and maybe we can meet up.

Hydro Junkie 06-14-2021 06:09 PM

Were you thinking carpooling or meeting up at the pond? I'll be bringing my stuff to race so room in my truck will be limited if you were looking at carpooling

ABX131 06-15-2021 07:03 AM

I can get myself down there. Once there I will try to find you. I cant stay all day as I have plans later in the day but can hang out of a few hours.

Hydro Junkie 06-15-2021 01:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sounds good. Just look for an orange and white Miss Elam Plus. It's hard to miss with the orange, white and blue paint job
Attachment 2270469

Hydro Junkie 06-21-2021 12:49 AM

Did you make it to the race? I didn't have my boat ready to go so it stayed in my truck and I spent most of the day working as a turn judge on the driver's stand. If things go well, I should have the boat ready to run for the next race, looking at the same location on July 11 if you can make it :)

ABX131 06-21-2021 03:03 AM

I did, it was fun and I had a chance to talk to a few people and get some ideas as to what to do with my boat. I got there about 10 and hung out for about two hours.

Hydro Junkie 06-21-2021 12:18 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time. The guys I really wanted to have you talk to weren't there but that's fine, you got some information that will help and that was most of the reason I suggested you go. As for me, I've still got some work to do to get my boat running and plan to be racing instead of being a referee in three weeks. As for today, I'm a hurting puppy. Both of my arms, ears, back of my neck and unprotected areas of my face are nicely red and feel like they're on fire(in short, I got some nice sunburns yesterday)