RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Results of Connecting 2 Batteries to 2 Brushed Motors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/11692888-results-connecting-2-batteries-2-brushed-motors.html)

Tanker1228 08-26-2021 01:14 AM

Results of Connecting 2 Batteries to 2 Brushed Motors

Hi! I am new to the world of rc electronics,I have a concern regarding the relationship of lipo batteries to escs and their corresponding brushed motors: will the two -battery setup be capable to run the two, identical motors at the same speed when both left and right transmitter sticks are swung upwards and downwards at max swinging level(im planning to bind the left motor to the left stick and the right motor to the right stick)? Or will one motor run faster then the other because of some electrical technicalities and etc?

mfr02 08-27-2021 12:13 AM

If both motors are identical and both motors are also identical and both ESCs the same, AND both the channels that you are plugged into behave the same with your radio, yes. And the batteries need to be the same, both in capacity, state of charge and ability to deliver current.
At least, they will try to. A shaft that binds more than its mate on the other side will slow that motor down.
Basic radios, it doesn't matter which channel you plug into, they all offer the same output signal for the same stick movement. A lot of programmable radios can have their characteristics altered by the user, which can add a layer of unwanted complication. ESCs don't usually "bind" - you just plug them in to the channel wanted. Auto set ones should automatically set themselves to the same parameters. Manual set ones need to be calibrated. Any difference in calibration will show a difference in performance.

birdo 09-08-2021 05:57 PM

My Kyosho Blizzard is a skid steer tracked vehicle. I have it setup using TWO 1060 Hobbywing ESCs, one for each motor and track. I have one 1060 controlled from the left stick and another 1060 controlled from the right stick. They each power a 380 sized brushed motor. They are both powered off of the SAME Battery pack. This works great for 380 sized motors. For 554/550 sized motors I would run TWO battery packs.

You could wire each ESC and motor to it's own battery pack, but I think the preferred method is to wire TWO battery packs in PARALLEL and power both of the ESCs off of that, making sure the wiring is correctly sharing the current(amps) load. This will keep voltages the same across BEC and the Motor.

You can also run both ESCs off of one channel. Just use a servo wire 1:2 splitter(Y).

The Blizzard has one motor running in reverse(wired backwards). Wide open the two motors seem to have the same speed, but over great distances you can see the forward motor is spinning slightly faster. My setup is running identical motors(Titan 380s), identical ESCs(Hobbywing 1080s), and the same battery(no voltage differences).