RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Dumas eagle hydro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/1696041-dumas-eagle-hydro.html)

xplayer930 04-06-2004 11:16 AM

Dumas eagle hydro

Does anyone have any informaton on this kit?? I saw it at the LHS. But i want to no if any body has any words about theis model, or pictures of there own. Thanks

Ron Olson 04-06-2004 04:15 PM

RE: Dumas eagle hydro

What do you need to know? It was designed by Gary Preusse and has been a very competitive boat. The wood quality isn't very good and some pieces should be replaced. Don't use Dumas hardware with it, use something like Speedmaster. You could call Gary himself for tips, a better price and the hardware kit that would work on it. He isn't online so you have to phone him at 630-279-2451. I buy a lot of stuff from him, if he doesn't have something or can't get it, you don't need it. Sounds a little cocky but the guy is good at what he does!

xplayer930 04-07-2004 06:52 PM

Well i want to know about the perormance aspect of the boat, like the top speed and how well it handels in the water.

Ron Olson 04-07-2004 07:00 PM

It does handle very well and is competitive. How fast it goes depends on what you put in and on it. Gary has had his in the 90's if that tells you anything. Average motor and setup you can run 60-70 MPH.

xplayer930 04-07-2004 08:20 PM

well i pane on stickin in a o.s .40 with a mac pip on it. Do you have any pictures of your own you could show me. How long does this boat take to build?? i have not boat building experience, just driving. Building is no problem because i build planes.

Ron Olson 04-08-2004 03:05 PM

I don't own one, I do know Gary and his son Dave, they both race them. I've raced in the Chicago area and these boats are very popular there. Put it this way, if you can win in that area, you are good enough to win anywhere. The racing there is that tough and they run the best equipment. What you put in and on it makes the difference. You can buy a Camaro with a straight 6 or a 454 in it, boats are almost the same way.
If you've built planes, building a boat is basically the same except we don't use MonoKote.:D

xplayer930 04-08-2004 06:22 PM

well i made my purchase today, i went and got it, i thought i needed a little break from the planes. lol What size prop can i use on the boat?? Every one at the hobby shop kept on telling me that this boat is way to powerful, but i dont think so since i have some driving experince. Only diffrence is the gas boat i had been useing only whent like 20 mph, this thing does 60-70!!! lol

Ron Olson 04-08-2004 06:36 PM

We like power! This boat should be an easy build but launching, driving and setting it up properly is the trick.
The prop depends on the motor used also. For starters, an Octura prop in the 1450-1455 range should work. I'll tell you what, a call to Gary is worth the cost of a long distance call anytime. Whenever I call him to order something, I always learn something new.
If possile, ask the guys at the Hobby Shop if there are other boaters around that can give you a hand when you take it out for the first time. The ones around here know me and have pointed new boaters my way for help. Most boaters are pretty good people and are willing to help get others started. This shows in Forums like this one.
Enjoy your new toy!

xplayer930 04-09-2004 09:12 AM

Thanks for the help. I have one more question for you, what do i use to paint it to get that gel coat look?? I have seen some of the boats in the LHS and you can see the wood grain right through the paint. O yes and i also purchased an O.S .46!!

Ron Olson 04-09-2004 02:31 PM

OK, there are several ways ot do this so take your pick. First, lay a coat of 20 minute or longer epoxy over the boat using some kind of squeegee. You can then wipe off the excess epoxy with a paper towel. Yeah, it really does work and doesn't stick like I thought that it would. This saves a lot of time sanding and helps to keep the boat light. You can then sand after the epoxy has cured if need be. One way to seal and "paint" and the same time is to get a pigment that can be mixed into the epoxy, West Systems among other companies have it in a variety of colors. The alternative is to paint it with a good fuelproof paint. I've used Formula-U with good results. It has to be laid on light bacause it will run but is fuelproof to over 50% Nitro and has the best shine that I've seen for a rattle can paint job. You can get it from Tower Hobbies or maybe a LHS.
The O.S. .46 ought to push the puppy right along, they're a pretty good motor.

xplayer930 04-09-2004 10:18 PM

Is luster coat any good?? Cuz that stuff is fuel proof, i use it on my planes. Also what kind of epoxy do i use, and ho wmuch will i be needing to buy?? Also does it have ti me thinned???

Ron Olson 04-10-2004 04:42 AM

I've used Lusterkote also, it's good for low Nitro (the can says 20%) so if you have any spills, wipe it up right away and you shoud be fine. You can thin the epoxy if you want to or use it straight. The stuff that I've been using is the regular Hobby Shop brand but if you can swing it, use the West Systems.

xplayer930 04-10-2004 08:11 PM

What do you have to thing it with???

Ron Olson 04-10-2004 09:06 PM

Most use Isopropyl alcohol.

xplayer930 04-11-2004 09:35 AM

Sounds good to me. Also someone told me not to use the wood filler i use on my planes ,and that i should use automotive body filler??? OO btw thanks for all the great help!!!:D

Ron Olson 04-11-2004 02:33 PM

The epoxy should cover most of the imperfections. For minor areas, use a wood filler or add some micro-balloons to the epoxy.

xplayer930 04-12-2004 07:51 PM

Alright, sounds good. the hull is starting to come together this thing, is bad ass looking. And to think i wasnt gonna get into boating because i thought not many people did it. lol

Ron Olson 04-12-2004 08:26 PM

We're for sure not the largest segment of R/C but when you start hitting races, you start meeting people that will welcome you and help you out whenever you need it. When you're not racing, it's laid back and gets to be like a big Family picnic with racing instead of a ball game. With the Internet thrown in, you get to meet others with the same interest from all over the World. I got out of racing the trucks, too much work, too much money trying to have the hot setup of the week and my wife complaining about too many kids being there. I myself enjoyed the kids, too many of their parents dumped them off at the track and didn't stay around to see how they did. I seemed to "adopt" some of them there and looked to me for help.
I got into planes a little, I got OK at building but better at crashing so I gave that up.

xplayer930 04-12-2004 09:07 PM

yea I do the car thing, , and th eplane thing, I reather build the plane instead of fly it. The only flying i really do is on the simulator. I feel that it take more talent to build it that fly it. Besides i have to many damm planes. Only problem is i dont think theres any boat clubs were i live. But all the other kids at the marina have these full blown race boats so i figured we could racem early int he mornign in this little cove by the marina on the weekends. its salf water but i plan on lockin that radio box up tighter than a fraogs A@@!!! lol al for the engine the other kids i know flush the cooloing head with WD40, then with fresh water, and then with WD40 again. Send me some pics of your boat. I post soem of mine as soon as i can snag my dad cam. lol

xplayer930 04-16-2004 07:52 PM

Hey ron you there???

Ron Olson 04-16-2004 08:14 PM

I am now!

xplayer930 04-16-2004 08:30 PM

well the hule is all to gether gonna give it the coat of epoxy 2morrow!!! Do you have any pics of your boats?? Im still a lil worried about runnin inmt eh salt water, but theres no other place, read my last big ost an ull c what i mean.

Ron Olson 04-16-2004 08:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that I have a few shots of my boats somewhere on this site. where at, I'm not sure without trying to dig them up. Maybe I'll post some for you. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll have a video of my new mono posted on www.rcflix.com .

xplayer930 04-16-2004 09:02 PM

That awesom!!!, ill get some pics up as soon as i snag my dad cam, hehe lol Im tellin ya this thing looks like its gonna fly!!! Its gonna be a handfull. How do you ballance the prop?? Is it the same way as the plane prop?? Just stick it on the balancer and sand of a lil at a time??

Ron Olson 04-16-2004 09:17 PM

Try this site for prop finishing, a nice little article on it: http://www.funrcboats.com/StorePropFinDetails.htm