RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   !st boat... gas or electric? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/1767458-st-boat-gas-electric.html)

FlybyPDX 04-28-2004 01:14 PM

!st boat... gas or electric?

What woukid be a good first boat? Gas or electric? Prop or air boat? I would like something that goes fast, but something Im not going to sink.

Aaronie 04-28-2004 03:39 PM

RE: !st boat... gas or electric?

GAS...FORGET ABOUT NITRO!

FlybyPDX 04-28-2004 03:44 PM

Where can I get a gas boat? or an engine so I can make my own boat?

Should I make it under water prop or air prop?

Umi_Ryuzuki 04-28-2004 04:26 PM

First off, where are you going to run this.
The city of Portland, and the City of Tualatin have pretty much banned "internal combustion" model boats from the city parks. There is something like a 500 dollar fine for running one in any of the City maintained parks and ponds. [:o]

If you know of a place that is safe to run something like this let the rest of the community know.

Most of the NAMBA racers run in Sprinfield, or Eugene, Oregon.
Last year they obtained access to the reflection pond out at the Trojan Nuclear Power plant, however,
that is not a sure thing this year as there were some shifts in control over that property this season.

We do get permission once a year for gas boats in the Tualatin commons, but there are some restrictions on even that event. Also the local model boat club dissaproves of anything really fast, or not "scale ship or tug" related, which is too bad.

If you have a 2 and a half acre private pond that is available for sailing, or lease, let me know.
There are several clubs and organizations that would love to negotiate access for a clean pond with
shoreline access.;)

Check with Hobbies Unlimited 4503 N. Interstate Ave., for fast boats, and possible recent information on places to run RC gas boats. (503) 287-4090

Also try contacting Peter Gaskins at jpgaskins@ mindriser.com or Chuck Ramsdell chuck@ pr-insure.com
(remove the space after the @ for the e-mail addresses)
for local information regarding model boat racing in the Portland, Salem, OR, and Vancouver, Wa area, and
possible locations to run gas and nitro rc boats.

Good Luck with your project.[8D]

Aimee

FlybyPDX 04-28-2004 04:32 PM

Hmm... I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Whatr about the walamette, cloumbia or mololla river?

Umi_Ryuzuki 04-28-2004 04:56 PM

Well as long as you do not have to deal with swimmers or fishermen any of the rivers are a possiblity.

Some place like "Willamete Park" in John's Landing, the park staff will run you off the dock during the summer.
I have run my scale ships between Dragon boat races during Rose Festival, but my scale ships are slugs compared to anything gas or nitro. And Parking is heck at the waterfront. You have to carry your equipment two or more blocks to the water.

There is an eddy behind the Oregon City Shopping center on the Clackamas River where I have heard of people running, but I found very limited access to the site. It is behind the shopping center, and below a concrete mixing plant just East of the Clackamette park on S Agnes road.

There are rumors that it is possible to run at the Cemetary on Tualatin Valley Hwy in Hillsboro between SE 32nd and SE 44th. It is a nice pond, but I have never seen any one running out there.

I like river running because the boat and jet ski wakes are fun to jump.
So as long as you "Trust" your boat to make it back to shore, then any clear beach or pier offers
lots of possiblities for some good running.[8D]

Aimee

FlybyPDX 04-28-2004 05:22 PM

Ever had a boat flip and had to go swimming?

I know where all those places are.

Umi_Ryuzuki 04-28-2004 05:33 PM

Most people bring a tennis ball tied to a fishing reel, or something similar.

Because I typically run scale ships, I usually have an extra boat that I can just push a stranded boat to shore.
I did this with the fast electric guys, and they were amazed that I could stay on the boat while pushing, let alone connect with it at all. The last time I was at Murray Hill with them they flipped three boats. I recovered one with my destroyer, and the other two they threw the tennis ball on the line.

The tennis ball seems to be the quickest and most accurate to retrieve a boat when it runs into trouble and you are by yourself, or only have one boat.:D

FlybyPDX 04-28-2004 06:20 PM

So why do you use a tennis ball?

Umi_Ryuzuki 04-28-2004 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: FlybyPDX

So why do you use a tennis ball?

Well I personally use another boat.:D

For most people however, I would guess that they know how to throw a ball more accurately than they can cast one tied to a fishing pole.;)

FlybyPDX 04-28-2004 11:21 PM

IC

Aaronie 04-29-2004 02:05 PM

How much money do you want to spend on a gas boat? How fast do you want your boat to go? Because you could go to whobbies.com or Aeromarinerc.com and buy some boats.

FlybyPDX 04-29-2004 02:37 PM

I think I am going to start by building an air boat! :D