RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Any suggestions? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/1862286-any-suggestions.html)

Crazyrcer 05-31-2004 09:55 PM

Any suggestions?

I would really like to get an rc boat. So I've been talking to my parents about where to use it and they think I should connect a string to it since the place to use it at doesn't have a row boat and doesn't allow swiming. They're very sure that any boat I get will sink or swamp. Is this somthing to be worried about? I don't really think it's a problem, but is it? I've been thinking about building a minature sump pump to pump out water. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks

pompebled 06-01-2004 02:02 AM

RE: Any suggestions?

Sinking a boat is the risk you take when running one...

If you choose a hull that can be taped watertight, it will stay afloat in any position.
If you take one that allows the installation of a flood chamber, it will self right so you can continue running, untill the batteries are empty.
To top things of, take a speed controller with a microprocessor that monitors the voltage and shuts down before you lose drive altogether, you'll be able to get your boat in at half throttle without getting wet... (Jeti JES 350, just to name one).

Let us know what budget you're thinking of so we can make some appropriate suggestions.

Regards, Jan.

Crazyrcer 06-02-2004 12:01 PM

Well I would like to get a Hobbico EP Hammer (or possibly Hobbico's Bristol Bay........if grandma can help out:)). It looks like the EP Hammer wouldn't be that hard to make completly water proof. Having a self-righting tank sounds interesting.

Red Rocket 06-02-2004 12:44 PM

Are you running in a weedy area? If so, a boat with any type of submerged proppeler may pose a problem. Otherwise, if you want to insure that you wont loose your boat, run high mah nimh cells, like the Epic 3000's, that way you can bring the boat in when it starts to slow, yet you wont need to worry about discharging the cells. Also, a 3000 should last you well into 10minutes of run time.

pompebled 06-02-2004 01:42 PM

The EP Hammer is a nice beginners boat, don't have too high expectations of the speed, with the 550 motor and subsurface drive, it's gonna be moderate.

Fast electric RTR boats are rare,and a bit more expensive.
Very fast electrics are the ones you build yourself (and the motor costs more than the entire EP Hammer...)

Take a look at www.offshoreelectrics for the better RTR boats.

Now, the Bristol Bay is quite another animal, semi scale, with a substantial longer runtime. Give granny a hug!

Regards, Jan.

Crazyrcer 06-02-2004 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Rocket

Are you running in a weedy area?
I don't know how weedy it is where I'm going to go (or at leats at some of the places). One pond had a few weeds and the other is the local resevoir (havn't been there yet). Does having the prop ~1 in. higher really make that much difference? BTW: right now I'm not planning on racing, just driving around the resevoir on weekends (but that might change?).

pompebled 06-02-2004 02:09 PM

If the water is weedy, it's best to avoid it all together, both surface- and subsurface drive suffer with weeds obstructing the prop, to the point where the motor dies of overheating or the ESC goes up in smoke....

In general, an boat with subsurface drive is slower than the same boat with surface- piercing drive (less in the water/under the boat= less drag)

Regards, Jan.

Red Rocket 06-03-2004 12:59 PM

Just to make your life easy, get the hammer ep. It's a great boat for what your using it for, either that or the tower hobbies turbo vee II 99.00 RTR

Umi_Ryuzuki 06-03-2004 02:18 PM

As long as you aren't driving it in heavy seas, or up against rocks most of these boats will not sink.
A little foam in the nose of the boat will keep it afloat in the worst case scenario.

:D