RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Thinking of leaving cars for boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/1937555-thinking-leaving-cars-boats.html)

AcID ZeR0 06-26-2004 02:33 PM

Thinking of leaving cars for boats

Hiya everyone, Boats have always intrested me and where as cars still do a lot, But now I've got a real one I don't have time for them and racing and would rather have a more relaxing hobby like boats.

Couple of questions aimed at current boat users
1) How reliable are they?
2) Where do you favour using yours
3) If my boat conks out in the middle of the lake am I going have to go in after it [:o]

Thanks for reading number 3 is the one im most concerned with, as on one hand I don't want a lake full of fish swimming around in my levi's but I don't wanna lose an expensive piece of equipment like a rc boat.

Thanks

pompebled 06-26-2004 04:22 PM

RE: Thinking of leaving cars for boats

Hi,

Boating can be as relaxing as you want it to be, the first (racing) heat leaves me adrinaline doped for the rest of the day...

1: Electrics are very reliable, gasboats too, nitro needs the most loving care and attention, all in relation to how well the boat is built and set up of course.
2: As I live in a province with a lot of lakes and waterways, I can run my electrics almost everywhere, I usually stay away from 1:1 boats, as the waves are too high, gas and nitro have more restrictions because of the noise and use of petrol/nitro, make sure it is allowed before running your boat.
3. If your electric boat has a ESC with low-voltage detection, you can always get your boat back on half throttle. With gas and nitro you need a retreival boat, a fishing rod with a tennisball on the line or swimming throusers...

Also check with your insurance if you are covered in case you hit something and please, don't kill any swimmers, it'll gives us boaters a bad name.

Regards, Jan.

Ron Olson 06-26-2004 09:00 PM

I got away from racing buggies and trucks myself. We have lots of tracks here to race at but the upkeep was killing my wallet.
I'm going to shoot directly to #3. For boat retrieval I use a fishing pole with a top-water lure on it because I had a lot left over from my Bass fishing tournament days. Some just use a reel with a tennis ball tied to the line. I also take along a 2 or 3-man inflatable boat with me. You can pick these up cheaply at most discount Department stores. My current 3-man boat I got for $23.00 including oars. A 12 volt pump will blow it up quickly at a pond if you don't have a lot of room to transport one. A BIG no-no is to go swimming after a dead boat. People have drowned doing this, serious stuff dude.
OK, back to #1 and #2. for Nitro like what I run, they are sometimes a pain depending on weather conditions but most of the time not that much hassle.
I run mine for both racing and fun but I have boats for both. Practicing is for trying out new things such and prop and pipe setups but I like to just plain run them anyway. Rivers are probably the worst place ot run any R/C boat. If they die, they are a bear to get at. River water moves faster than it looks, I know! Use good old common sense when running, stay far away from wildlife, swimmers, full-sized boats, etc. for your safety and theirs.
There are plenty of clubs in the UK, you might want to hook up with one in your area. If you need some help with that, let me know. I know of a few people over in the Motherland.

LtDoc 06-27-2004 12:57 AM

AcID ZeR0,
Boats are basically the same as cars in reliability. Just how reliable are your cars? Nothing is totally reliable so plan on having 'goofs' evey now and then. The 'goofs' are usually directly related to something you did or didn't do, that you should or shouldn't have done (geez, that really helps doesn't it?).

You can run a boat in almost any body of water that you can find (with permission, of course!). If you don't have any ponds, pools, rivers, creeks, or lakes 'handy', then you sort of have a problem. You might be suprized at the number of places you can find, so start looking.

What happens if it quits in the middle of the lake? Well, you have several choices. They range from going swiming to going to get it with another boat (RC or full sized). Fishing poles, long sticks, ropes, teach your dog to 'fetch', or just wait for it to come to you (call the fire department... naah, better not!). Is it ever going to happen? Count on it! LOL
- 'Doc

Laughing Potato 06-28-2004 03:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am thinking about this too:-

I brought a Ripmax Tomkat and found it to be great fun and relaxing at the sametime. I now own a Traxxas Villian EX and that really rocks! I am glad I have 2 boats now as I can use either one as a rescue boat if I need too.

I have 10 rc trucks at the moment and I am now going to sell 5 of them to help build my boat collection (sailing boat next).

The best think about running the boats is this :- they enter and leave the water clean (one run with my truck and its at least 30mins of cleaning again).

Oh, the Actionman looks cool on the Tomkat

enyaengine 06-28-2004 05:42 AM

Boats are great. I have just finished building mine, it's renovated wooden boat converted to .12 nitro. I have found that the engine only ever plays up on the shore when starting, adjusting etc. Once the boat is out in the water, fuel permitting, there have been no problems. Although my boat looks more like a fishing boat, it's very competant and I have to be careful at WOT as it is now capable (since I've got the mixture settings right) of around 20 knots - not bad for a complete home-built.
I'm currently working on an electric rescue boat . . . yes, a rc boat specifically for dragging in dead rc boats. I'm fed up of wading around in the local river (it's a very slow, small river,not dangerous like some, I use my boat at a large, deep lagoon like place - it's all I have that's local) so I'm building a boat to sort that problem.
Anyhow, I have a car and a boat now and I can say that boating is great fun, possibly even better than cars!

Jared1106 06-29-2004 11:15 AM

This past winter I bought a Enforcer Man-O-War, the boat itself is 54" long, not counting the gear out the back, Gloss Black, sweet boat. Has a hopped up Zenahoh in it, the thing moves right along, I find it much more fun that the R/C trucks, which I am waiting for the new FG Monster truck to be released! But anyway a few weekends ago I was running it in some REAL rough water, shouldnt have been but it was sure fun, on one pass the boat did a compleate roll, kept going, wasnt so luckythe second roll, it died, a fair distance out too, though I have a 1 man raft in the trunk of my car there were 2 kids swimming and when it drifted in closer they went out and gave it a push in.
Started right back up went around a few times then died again, that was enough for one day, now that I am thinking about it I am going this afternoon!

brutusjm 06-29-2004 01:37 PM

AcID ZeR0,
Just got into boats from cars about a year ago...now working on third boat if that tells you how quickly you can get hooked. I am spoiled with a pond less than 100 yrds from back of my house, so that helps out too. As for what happens when the boat stops on the lake...have a fellow boater with you for a push to shore...or swim for you, you of course have to make sure the radio doesn't get wet while you watch them bob for your boat.
Jason

hoghappy 06-29-2004 03:01 PM

Just do it man....and if your worried about the boat dying build a tug to go after it with....it's a good excuse to get a extra toy!:)