RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   1/8 scale hardware (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/3030893-1-8-scale-hardware.html)

jw637362 05-31-2005 10:44 PM

1/8 scale hardware

OK - Should be my "last post" concerning the Atlas van lines Hydro.

Just sold a plane to finish the boat..................

Please advise on these parts. Alot of research and limited funds to finish the project. $150.00
Not looking for the Elite parts but quality just the same.

Aeromarine RC listings:

#1302 rudder $42.95 - 6"
#1406 hydro strut $17.95
#1516 reducer bushing $1.75
#1517 nose piece $1.95
#1518 bearings $3.15
#1510 drive dog $2.50
#1527 Aluminum bullet prop nut $1.95
#1902 stuffing tube $8.95 ( can I just go get a piece of ?" K & S Tubing and make this / what is envolved or in a Stuffing tube.)
#1602 flex shaft $20.00

The Tuned pipe is where I am very frustruated. OPS .67 - $45.00 is what I have chosen.
Is this an exceptable "proven" tuned pipe

I have the 3/16" collet for the engine already and engine dampening mount installed.

$101.15
$45.00
----------
$146.15 total + shipping

I will have to purchase the prop and tuned pipe holder later.

Thanks a bunch for all your guys help, Jeff

jw637362 06-01-2005 05:54 PM

RE: 1/8 scale hardware

Went ahead and bought the stuff since no replies - Will begin puttin it all tuesday

Ron Olson 06-02-2005 12:06 AM

Are you just going to mess around with the boat or do you plan on racing it? If your plans involve racing, the pipe will be unacceptable because both sanctioning bodies (IMPBA and NAMBA) are both requiring muffled tuned pipes now.
The flex cable may be borderline as some are now using 1/4" cables stepped down to 3/16" hard shafts.

jw637362 06-02-2005 07:58 PM

Ron, I have looked at the Andy Brown Pipe for the boat but it was a little out of the budget. I will be running OPS for a little while just messing around. Will I see a big increase in performance when upgrading to the AB tuned pipe.

If it seems that it running up to par, I will upgrade to the AB Muffled pipe.
For the time being I have the after muffler that mounts on the end of the tuned pipe that I ran with my Catamaran.
I was wondering about the 1/4 Flex Drive but Niagara marine Hobbies told me that the 3/16 was what was being used on the 1/8th scales.
I will go with the 1/4" system on my other Hydro when I decide to fit it with hardware.

Jeff

jw637362 06-08-2005 08:44 PM

Well, I just received my hardware.

Is it common to have to cut some of the parts to get them to fit in a HYDRO. Please send some closeup shots of your hardware installations of your hydros so I can see what I am supposed to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

About what depth should the prop shaft be set at for a good starting point. I have it set at 1 1/2 inches from the bottom center. Top of the prop is set at 1/4 inch from bottom of boat.

Oh and to RON, they back ordered the OPS pipe so I cancelled that item, I am now buying the AB muffled tuned pipe..

Jeff

Ron Olson 06-08-2005 11:01 PM

Sometimes parts do have to be modded. Are you mounting the hardware on the outside of the transom or inside like what 1/8th scale rules specify? I did my Sport 40 slightly different from what everyone else seems to do, I mounted the strut mount on the transom instead of on the floor of the boat and still have the strut IMPBA legal (probably NAMBA too). The rules state that no part of the strut can extend beyond the transom. I like the transom mount myself because I didn't want the bolts to hang down underneath but I have 4 bolt heads sticking out the back. You may have to cut enough of the top of the strut off to get it under the cowling, mine is really close.

jw637362 06-08-2005 11:33 PM

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply - Yes (1/8th scale rules specifications) I am mounting everything inside of the transom. Only part out side is the rudder. Unfortunatley, the rudder they sent was to tall for the transom mounting I had wanted and had to cut a hole in the top of the boat to get blind nuts inside, Easy fix but a pain nonetheless.

I understand the principles of Hydros as far as running on the front sponsons and the prop,
Question - Is the prop shaft supposed to be level with the rear of the front sponsons..

Appreciate the info, I Hope to be final painting it this weekend and running in two weeks!!

Hydro Junkie 06-09-2005 02:46 PM

Having the stubshaft center even with the bottom of the sponsons is a good starting place. From there, you will need to fine tune the set up by adjusting depth and angle as needed for best performance.