RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   engine mod and paint question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/3180129-engine-mod-paint-question.html)

rcnutman 07-19-2005 07:13 AM

engine mod and paint question

1 Attachment(s)
hi,
I am looking for any to get a little more power out of my k$b 3.5.......I see the there is an enging mod kit that I can buy...This sounds really super......If only I could actually find out whats included in the 50 dollar kit??( nobody seems to reply from websites) Have any of you bought this, whats included, easy to put on, and finally could you notice the difference from stock........

The other question is im tryn to get this paint job on my boat......Unfourtinatly I am not having much luck with bending the tape and making it smooth.......Im sure the lines will not come out good!!!!!!!! Im thinkin i can use the 1/8 black trim tape (bends very easily)and maybe brush it on??
I wonder If I can use spray paint........just spray it into a cup.......and apply......( i am not having to much luck finding any other paint that is brushable than testors( al set with that stuff)
can you all tell im a newbe to painting.......let me hear you thoughts.......( also Im a little bumbed out ith missle red...more like missle pink[:@][:'(])
thanks guys!!!!!!
rc nut

Ron Olson 07-19-2005 09:28 AM

RE: engine mod and paint question

Can you give us a better discription of the kit that you're talking about or a web site?
As far as the painting goes, don't use Testor's paints as they aren't fuelproof.

rcnutman 07-19-2005 09:44 AM

I wish I could tell you more about it........All that is says is engine mod kit..........The site is here its a listing of prather stuff http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/listing/pra.html They have excellant prices........

I would not use testors paint( like you say not feul proof).....I just wonder what the paint job would come out like if i brush painted spary paint??
thanks for your reply

Ron Olson 07-19-2005 09:52 AM

I kind of had an idea that is was this when you listed the price. If I'm right, it's an exhaust throttle kit. Save your money, exhaust throttles are a pain to set up and to work properly. Mark (OB Nut) might chime in here, he's one of the few that I've seen that can get one to work but he uses a different brand.

rcnutman 07-19-2005 10:01 AM

I have always wondered what an exaust throttle is..........and how it works........ So maybe i should just buy a pipe?? Would that help the performance a fair gain???..........wonder how much louder the motor will be.........cause dam its quite loud now.....

DONS BOAT WORKS 07-19-2005 10:14 AM

Pep Boys and most paint stores carry 1/8" masking tape.

rcnutman 07-19-2005 11:32 AM

1/8 inch huh.......that would be perfect/.........Im gona have to take a look.....thanks

ob nut 07-19-2005 12:11 PM

I've used the Prather Mod Kit in the past. What you get from Prather is a waste of $$ to me. You get the brass slide exhaust system, stainless steel skeg (the stock one needs to be removed per them) and a K&B racing needle. Their changes include hollowing out the stock exhaust ports on the lower unit. Talk about LOUD.. Also, the slot for the carb needs to be changed into a venturi. Your best bet would be to put a red / purple / gold carb on the motor and pipe it. Other options are to port the sleave, advance the exhaust timing, etc if speed is what you are after.

rcnutman 07-19-2005 01:09 PM

awesome........that what I was after.......I guess I will just get a pipe for it...........Hopefully i will get a little more top end out of it......
thanks
I just went to a paint shop and pep-boys,,,,,,they did not have a 1/8 trim tape.........
bummer

DONS BOAT WORKS 07-19-2005 02:11 PM

1/8" masking tape, not trim tape in the paint dept. My local pet boys has it.

ob nut 07-19-2005 02:19 PM

If there is a local hobby store that carries lots of R/C items, you should be able to find narrow trim tape there. Any automotive store that carries auto paint supplies will also have what ya need.

Pipe'n a motor will gain you some speed, but the real deal is in prop work. Learn how to work on props, best bet is to get several x440 and make each different. Cupping, Texas cut, back cutting etc will gain the most speed for the buck. There are other props that will get you speed (prather 215, x1440, etc), but the x440 is an all around good prop for the K&B 3.5 motor. Don't be surprised if that Prather boat gets too wild with the mods you plan. That is a very old design compared to current models out now.

I've got a 29" WOF with a .21 MAC (heat racing mods from CMDi) and Lawless Quick Shot lower unit. With a stock prather S215, it was radar'd at 44.7. I've already changed the S215 and have a few others on the way here for more testing. I'm hoping to get up into the mid 50's with different props.

[link=http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/data/506/612Queen_City_Race_Heat_5_2.mpg]Heat racing action[/link]

rcnutman 07-19-2005 03:16 PM

took a 35 minute ride to the hobby store.......He had one packet of pactura 1/8 trim tape.........:Dscore!!!!!!!!!!
tomorrow nite I will start on the paint trim.........hope it comes out good!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info on the props.......Sounds like i need to buy a few and see what works the best.......
thanks[8D]