RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   ABC Hobby Freedom RZ Outdrive unit? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/4466361-abc-hobby-freedom-rz-outdrive-unit.html)

floon 07-05-2006 03:15 PM

ABC Hobby Freedom RZ Outdrive unit?

I have an old ABC Hobby Freedom RZ nitro that I want to get running again. However, I took off the engine and outdrive unit, and have miss placed it. Anyone know where I can find the replacment parts, or what I could do to build my own outdrive that will work with this boat?

fLoOn

Ron Olson 07-06-2006 07:33 AM

RE: ABC Hobby Freedom RZ Outdrive unit?

The old ABC Hobby boats are now being built in China. You'll find the company pushing their stuff on eBay a lot but it looks like the boats and outboards are quickly falling apart.
Do a search for the Dolphin boat in here as they use the very same outboard.

floon 07-06-2006 10:55 AM

Well I havn't been able to find didly on ebay. I was lucky and found an Old Cesa 1882. I'm not trying to be the fastest on the lake, I just want to duplicate all my old dependable, fairly fast boats that I used to have. I used to have a Traxxas Nitro Vee, ABC Hobby Freedom RZ, and an ABC Hobby Super Hawaii. All three boats ran around 25mph, which is plenty fast enough for me. So I just want to get my freedom back to the way it was and the stock outboard is fine. If I wanted to make it a rocket I definately wouldn't use the stock outboard set up. Also, to order stuff straight from ABC cost an arm and a leg because of shipping. Thanks for the input though.

DONS BOAT WORKS 07-06-2006 11:44 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-REMOTE-NITRO-...QQcmdZViewItem

Ron Olson 07-06-2006 11:52 PM

The problem is going to lie in that the bushings in the lower unit are junk. Replacing them with bearings would help a lot. See if you can get some spare belts while you're at it as I can see where on the jackshaft going to the propshaft could easily pop off if you got some debris in there.

floon 07-07-2006 07:22 AM

Does that thing really do 55-60mph? I too thought there'd be way too much turbulence from the belt stricking the water infront of the prop for it to spin enough water for speeds like that. Anyways, thanks for the link, I may be able to get a new outdrive for my Freedom now. I also found a pretty cool outboard unit at a local hobby shop that will work too, and it doesn't have the belts to worry about. I'm going to go with whatever is cheapest, as I'm sure I'll have enough speed to satisfy my needs with either unit.
Thanks for the help!

Ron Olson 07-07-2006 08:32 AM

Only in their dreams! Read it again, the hull is capable of speeds up to 55-65 MPH.
Here's an ad for you to check out that I've saved: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dolphin-Nitro-po...QQcmdZViewItem

floon 07-07-2006 09:13 AM

What an odd way to try and sell an R/C boat on eBay. Tell everyone how ****ty it is, and then hope people ingore the description?!

Anyways, I never had any problems with the outdrive from ABC. I probably ran it over 50 times in different ponds and lakes, and it never had a single issue. The bushings, belts, prop, none of it went bad. A friend of mine's dad had a 'jugs' gun for baseball, and the Freedom clocked 23mph on it. Not bad for a .12 and an oversized v-hul, especially with that outdrive. I may not go with the outdrive from these dolphins if they are manufactured so horribly. It may be the same design as ABC's, but ABC's never blew up or anything.

I guess almost any hull is capable of 60mph if you put enough ass on it and keep it wieghed down so it doesn't get airborne. But this dolphin thing looks pretty ****ty. Thanks for the heads up about thier stuff being junk.

I'm probably going to go with the other outboard unit I found at this local hobby shop. I can't remember what is' called, but the outdrive looks just like something from a real outboard, but the engine itself is just an inverted .15 nitro.

fLoOn

Ron Olson 07-07-2006 09:22 AM

The person wasn't really trying to unload that barge but to let people know how bad it is and that the warranty is a joke. He got the shaft and posted that ad in hopes that others don't and are made aware of the problems.

heyjack8 09-21-2018 10:00 AM

do you happen to know where I can get the manual for that boat

heyjack8 09-21-2018 10:02 AM

looking for the manual for this boat have an old one I'm trying to get running again can you help me...?

Matty1129 12-20-2020 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by floon (Post 4466361)
I have an old ABC Hobby Freedom RZ nitro that I want to get running again. However, I took off the engine and outdrive unit, and have miss placed it. Anyone know where I can find the replacment parts, or what I could do to build my own outdrive that will work with this boat?

fLoOn

I have one I'll be happy to sell you that is brand new with factory dynomite engine. Has maybe one tank of fuel ran threw it. Other than that I've had no luck finding kits or parts or anything on this freedom rz!

Justaddwata 12-21-2020 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Matty1129 (Post 12651603)
I have one I'll be happy to sell you that is brand new with factory dynomite engine. Has maybe one tank of fuel ran threw it. Other than that I've had no luck finding kits or parts or anything on this freedom rz!

Unfortunately the post you are responding to is over 14 years old. May want to message the member as it is unlikely they are looking for updates.