RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Kalamazoo Fun Run 5.0 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5339010-kalamazoo-fun-run-5-0-a.html)

Ron Olson 01-29-2007 12:23 AM

Kalamazoo Fun Run 5.0

As usual, I am again hosting this years Fun Run. The date is May 19th and have several people so far letting me know that they are attending. All boaters are welcome to show up for a day of messing around.
Last night I got an e-mail from Steve Vacarro of Offshore Electrics who is donating as of now one or more prizes for a drawing to be held for those who attend. What he is sending me, I don't know yet but it will be appreciated. I'm going to hit the LHS's to see if they would like to donate any items also.
We're expecting a larger than normal showing this year and some details are already in the Events Calendar on this site. Also for the first time, we will hold an informal swap meet.

Hydro Junkie 01-30-2007 12:08 AM

RE: Kalamazoo Fun Run 5.0 preview

RON, YOU PICKED THE WRONG DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't come as I have a different "long term" event going on that day[&o]
I'm sure the future Mrs Hydro Junkie wouldn't be too happy with me going boating and missing(in her eyes anyway) a very important party, if you know what I mean;)

Ron Olson 01-30-2007 12:23 AM

Ooooooooh, THAT day! Well, I guess that you can save a stamp but not sending me an invite. They have no sense of humor about that stuff.
Feel free to PM me any Bachelor party pix though!;)

Hydro Junkie 01-30-2007 12:51 AM

Bachelor Party??
What is a Bachelor Party? As far as I know, my bachelor party will be going dancing with the soon to be Mrs the night prior in Olympia, which is 100 miles away. Besides, I can see you, Doubledog and a few others posting any pics I send on two or three forums, as well as this one[X(]

Ron Olson 01-30-2007 01:09 AM

Nah, we can't post pix like that on this or those sites!
I missed most of mine as I was in talking to Ralph on the porcelain phone through most of it, trying too many kinds of mixed drinks and missed a lot of the dancers. Those places don't like cameras in them anyway.
A few of us might hit a local micro-brewery after the event though. We'll have to have one for you.

ob nut 01-30-2007 05:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
A few of us might hit a local micro-brewery after the event though. We'll have to have one for you.

might? might? might? what do you mean might? [sm=lol.gif]

Ron Olson 01-30-2007 11:20 AM

Good news from Steve. I just got another e-mail from him and it looks like there will be a drawing for a nitro boat hull! One more reason to show up this year!
I would kind of like to get an idea of who is showing up this year. I know that Denny and Greg Sheckler are talking about showing up as they're the ones that want to visit Bell's Brewery, you, and some of the Grand Rapids people have already made plans, Wave Walker and hopefully Darla health permitting. Some airboaters have shown interest also.
We hjave a swap meet coming up in a few weeks and plan on handing out fliers there also.

wave waker 01-30-2007 06:47 PM

Don't forget me Ron,,i'm bringing my fun boats an inboard . 32 TS2, an airbot .46 TS2, an outboard SW36 with k&b .21,,and TC31 with .46OS,, :Di do no something went crazy on these boats, they lost their identity:D:D

ob nut 01-30-2007 06:48 PM

A no brainer, I'll be there!!! What type of boat is Steve putting in the drawing?

Ron Olson 01-31-2007 12:08 AM

I just got an e-mail from Steve earlier today. An Aeromarine Mean Machine .18 is on it's way next week! It is minus engine but the one that came with it wasn't very good anyway. If someone dropped a good .18 in it or upgraded to a decent .21, it would scoot!
We will draw a name for it around mid-day when there most of the people will be there. Next, I'll hit up the LHS"s to see what I can get out of them.

Doubledog 01-31-2007 02:40 PM

Shoot, I'd be in for a raffle to help raise funds. $5 a pop sound good? You know, set up a Paypal account in the name of the club and let the funds roll in.

Btw,
Hydro Junkie, don't forget to send me a PM with your address and the date. A small package will come your way. Nothing much but a small gesture.:)

Recon8541 01-31-2007 07:46 PM

Ron,

I guess I didnt notice...or realize you are from kalamazoo. I grew up very near there, in Niles Mi. You can count on my attending. I live in Florida now, but will travel up there for this, sounds like a great time.

Maybe you have heard of a few friends of mine from kalamazoo....um....randy...and kevin vandam? I grew up with kevin and have done alot of fishing with he and randy both. I will call Randy tomorrow and see if he would be willing to bump a few items from the shop to raffle.

recon

Ron Olson 01-31-2007 11:32 PM

Jamie, it's completely free at the Fun Run. I do take a few bucks out of my pocket for pop and burgers but usually that's it.

Recon, I know both Kevin and Randy! I used to fish Bass tournies and got whooped by Kevin before he started fishing the BASS circuit. Randy runs D&R Sports and we used to get our company bass tourney prizes there. He used to get innto his secret stash in the back room of goodies and always gave us deals. They've got quite the store out there now. I remember when they had that tiny place next door to the new store, just starting out.
I've only been to Niles once and that was to do some service work at the Clark Equipment foundry when I was fresh out of high school.

Recon8541 02-01-2007 02:32 AM

Ron,

I bought my first boat from them some years ago. Im a huge D&R fan lol....funny how small the world really is. I to used to do a ton of tourn fishing back in the day. Mostly local to the niles area. Great times back then.

wave waker 02-25-2007 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron,

even u order those water lilies etc. they can't stop this thing from running!!:D:D..airboat baby!!!

Ron Olson 02-25-2007 10:49 PM

Bring it! We might have at least one other airboater showing up, the person known as RS38-40 in here lives just west of town and has a few. He missed last year but wanted to make it this time.

FE_Chris 03-04-2007 12:43 AM

Mark! Ron! jewel!!! Is it this time of the year already?;)

I will have atleast 3 boats with me this year. I am 100% electric. O yeah, I also got some FM radios this time around too. It will be nice to see all you fellas. Weeds in the lake should be at a minimum too. The drawing sounds cool.

I gave up on nitro.....All I ever got from nitro was excersise rowing myself out to retrieve a stalled boat [&o] So now I roll brushless ;)

Ron Olson 03-04-2007 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this?:D There weren't too many not using the inflatable that day except for my son Eric as he's afraid of going out in the water with a small boat.

FE_Chris 03-04-2007 12:55 AM

haha, yup mine was the one more twords his feet........:D

so whats everyone gonna be running? anyone get anything new?

Ron Olson 03-04-2007 01:19 AM

I'll have the .12 'rigger that I didn't bring last year and there should be others with those also, Wade Swatzell from Cedar Springs and maybe Don Templeton coming back up again from Indy. Possibly another .12 'rigger from around Chicago. It would be cool to get all of us on the water at once.
I've heard from some gas boaters that want to show up then hit one of the micro-breweries downtown afterwards, at least one other airboater plus hopefully more locals as I've got fliers up in the LHS's.
This years turn-out should be much better than last year as it won't be on Memorial Day weekend.
I haven't seen the Mean Machine .18 from Steve yet but I told him that I was in no big hurry to get it. Walt Radzinski offered to buy an engine for it so that we can give away a true RTR boat. If you don't remember him, he was the one whose CMD Eagle SGX went OOC and we had to chase it across the lake.
Darla will be there if her health allows her to come over.
This year I'm packing light to spend more time with everybody so we'll be bringing the Speedmaster 21, the Wild Thing .12 and the .12 'rigger. If I buy another boat, that will come along also.

FE_Chris 03-05-2007 12:27 AM

Sweet. yeah I remember him. I was going to Mickey D's with your son Eric, when his boat decided to go across the lake on it's own. From what I remember everything was ok.....just knicked up was all......PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW close call on that incident!

Heck yeah we should all go get wasted after the fun run! :D Just joking, but that would be cool to go check out a micro brewery or go to a bar and get some dinner and have some drinks. Talk someore shop cause you know I love me some RC boats!!! ;) Sounds like we have a bunch of people on the way. yeah it would be nice to have more boats this time, we hardly had more than 1 out on the water at one time last fun run.

Prizes sound cool. If it's free who could ever complain?

What time will you get there ron in the AM? Last timed I did'nt show till around noon...this time I wanna be there around 8 or 9 am the latest. Figured I could Help you setup and get my things going early in the day so I can sit back and just have fun. Maybe even learn something.

I'll have the .12 'rigger that I didn't bring last year and there should be others with those also, Wade Swatzell from Cedar Springs and maybe Don Templeton coming back up again from Indy. Possibly another .12 'rigger from around Chicago. It would be cool to get all of us on the water at once.
I've heard from some gas boaters that want to show up then hit one of the micro-breweries downtown afterwards, at least one other airboater plus hopefully more locals as I've got fliers up in the LHS's.
This years turn-out should be much better than last year as it won't be on Memorial Day weekend.
I haven't seen the Mean Machine .18 from Steve yet but I told him that I was in no big hurry to get it. Walt Radzinski offered to buy an engine for it so that we can give away a true RTR boat. If you don't remember him, he was the one whose CMD Eagle SGX went OOC and we had to chase it across the lake.
Darla will be there if her health allows her to come over.
This year I'm packing light to spend more time with everybody so we'll be bringing the Speedmaster 21, the Wild Thing .12 and the .12 'rigger. If I buy another boat, that will come along also.

Ron Olson 03-05-2007 12:57 AM

We don't start until 9 but I'm usually there around 8 to set up the buoys and unpack all of my stuff.
People with digital cameras should bring them along, especially if they have the ability to make short movies and better with sound. Steve Colby will make up a DVD video for those that show up free for us with all of the videos and pictures that we can get for him. He has a wedding to go to that day and will only be there for a short time unless he can get out of going to it.
No, I don't think that he was invited to Hydro Junkie's wedding.
Fortunately the micro-brewery is only about a mile if that from my house otherwise it would be a long way between rest areas.

ob nut 03-05-2007 01:34 AM

Well, I know of one person off limits to running my play boat!! Leave nitro and go only EP [:'(]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ron Olson 03-05-2007 01:57 AM

Yeah, and we let him drive the Speedmaster 21 last year too!
I'm going to have to see if I can get ahold of George Dalecki so he can see what a fast electric boat is! George didn't make it last year but did the year before. Too bad that he trashed his quick 'rigger before that Fun Run. That baby was supposed to be a 90 MPH boat.

FE_Chris 03-05-2007 07:40 AM

LOL.....I knew I would take some hastleing from you nitro fellas.... lol :)

Well....I should have some decent things with me. 1 hydro, and 3 mono's.

Got to get to work, i'll be back later to take more abuse from you nitro fellers. :D:D:D;)

EDIT: Ron, I was thinking that would be great if you could get a hold of George. I'd like to see a 90+ MPH boat!. I've never seen anything over 40 with my own 2 eyes.

Mark, your tunnel was fun to drive. If the two BBY kits I ordered work out well, I believe I am going to build there 12 cell tunnel racer for my next project. Sorry I flipped it [&o] I felt bad last year, it's never cool to flip somone else's boat [&:] Sounds like we are gonna have a great time this year, again.

Yeah, and we let him drive the Speedmaster 21 last year too!
I'm going to have to see if I can get ahold of George Dalecki so he can see what a fast electric boat is! George didn't make it last year but did the year before. Too bad that he trashed his quick 'rigger before that Fun Run. That baby was supposed to be a 90 MPH boat.