RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   From Start to Finish (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5510577-start-finish.html)

stevblutu15 03-04-2007 08:17 PM

From Start to Finish

1 Attachment(s)
Going to post my build of a scale 1992 Viking 45 Convertable

Day 1

stevblutu15 03-04-2007 08:19 PM

RE: From Start to Finish

1 Attachment(s)
More

stevblutu15 03-04-2007 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 2

56" long 20" wide Im putting it in the general forum for it will incorportate scale aspects but also speed- im not sure whether im going gas or electric- but im leaning toward gas.

Kmot 03-04-2007 08:33 PM

That's a man size boat! [sm=thumbup.gif]:D

Is this scratch built or a kit? Got a pic of the real boat or what it should look like finished?

Kmot 03-04-2007 08:38 PM

Found a pic. It's beautiful. Reminds me of a Dumas Donzi.

http://www.bluewateryachtsales.com/I...VKY_FINTIC.JPG

stevblutu15 03-04-2007 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes sir: i drew the plans myself and printed them out on a plotter in full scale. I then used graphite paper to trace them onto plywood. Then used a jigsaw to cut them out. Yes that is the boat- and is my absolute favorite in the whole world. here are some pics of the exact boat i based the plans off of.

The pics arent great-infact the one above captures the beauty of this boat better.

Kmot 03-04-2007 09:04 PM

Well, I will be watching this thread with great interest! :)

DONS BOAT WORKS 03-04-2007 09:15 PM

Me too!!!

Flabum 03-04-2007 11:11 PM

this going to be the 8V92 version or the Cat 3208 version?

stevblutu15 03-05-2007 01:28 PM

The one its based off has the Detroits, but will most likely end up with a zenoah lol

stevblutu15 03-05-2007 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 3: I finished installing the middle stringer(if thats what they're called) on both sides and joined them at the bow. I then installed the top stringer on the left side of the hull. Not much progress because the epoxy says 30 minutes but takes a good hour to set. Slow and steady wins the race.

Pics:

goodson 03-05-2007 09:43 PM

going to being (and already is) a great build to watch! i second the zenoah power. 1:1, vikings are fast boats. nothing wrong with a scale boat that flies!

stevblutu15 03-05-2007 09:54 PM

Well it wont be quite that fast my friends viking cruises between 28 and 30 knotts. For ye land matees' thats about 30 32 mph

goodson 03-06-2007 08:10 PM

what most people dont understand though, is that a boat that big, going that fast is a bit of a feat. the engine rooms on full size convertibles are amazing. IIRC, the denotation of Detroit Diesel engines stand for: number of cylinders, piston configuration, cubic inches per cylinder. so, that 8v92 is about a 736 ci turbo diesel. thats 12 litres, and then there are two plus a generator.

keep building, and keep us updated!

stevblutu15 03-06-2007 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes indeed. The engines are massive and the sheer size of a boat like that is insane something like 450 hp per motor i think. any way here are the images from Day 4 of my build. Completed all of the stringers on the top half of the hull and just finished laying up the first on the bottom. Also had a bit of a design miscalculation in that the plans called for a step in the hull yet once i put it together theres no room. Paper vs reality i guess- so that will have to be omitted. Once again i am slowly advancing on the project but it's not too bad considering i drew the plans myself.

Flabum 03-07-2007 01:44 AM

I can tell you from experience that there is very little room in that engine room...... looks big until you actually have to do something in there. I have done everything imaginable in thos 45's and I can tell you.....it's not easy. We have a 39 Viking in the yard now, and we have to pull the salon floorboards to work on the engines...... that entails removing the couch and carpet.

BTW, that build is looking good..... keep up the good work!!!

stevblutu15 03-07-2007 02:21 PM

you dont have to tell me. There is plent of room as long as you working on the side of the engine near the walkway hehe. My friend blew an engine a few years back and man that boat had to be torn apart and A-frames brought in to take the motor apart. quite interesting. However the boat design is one of my favorites. I have been in that boat in about 8 ft seas and it's like nothing to the boat. You can do 25 mph in 8 ft seas in that boat vs a friends 42 cruisers which has to slow down to about 10 knotts due to the flat hull design. Viking makes a SOLID boat.

stevblutu15 03-07-2007 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Progress is still slow but steady. Today continued on the bottom chines-setup the double on one side and the single on the other. I may have figured out how to adapt for the step though.

Flabum 03-08-2007 12:59 AM

quote:I have been in that boat in about 8 ft seas and it's like nothing to the boat. You can do 25 mph in 8 ft seas in that boat vs a friends 42 cruisers which has to slow down to about 10 knotts due to the flat hull design.

Yeah, well Cruisers are junk from the get-go...... no comparison to Vikings, Bertrams, Oceans or Hatts.

Quicksilver1 03-08-2007 01:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Flabum

quote:I have been in that boat in about 8 ft seas and it's like nothing to the boat. You can do 25 mph in 8 ft seas in that boat vs a friends 42 cruisers which has to slow down to about 10 knotts due to the flat hull design.

Yeah, well Cruisers are junk from the get-go...... no comparison to Vikings, Bertrams, Oceans or Hatts.
I concur

stevblutu15 03-08-2007 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 6: Finished the bottom chines, and did a little cutting and sanding to get them to fit at the bow. While doing this i popped one of the top back peices off so i reglued and will let it set over night. I also grinded out the step but no pics of that. After tomorrow the skeleton should be done and ready for planking. Will keep you posted.

P.S.- im a little dissapointed not too many people read the general forum.

Flabum 03-09-2007 05:57 PM

I see one set of stringers..... going only single screw with her?

stevblutu15 03-09-2007 06:03 PM

well im 90% set on gas and in that case i dont want the headace of 2 engines, not to mention the $$ it would run me. I wish i could get the scale feel of twins but i just dont want the trouble. IF i go electric the chance is slim but i would go twins. I just want the boat to plane off and maybe hit 30 mph. It wont be a racer lol. The engines choices are Zenoah, Sikk, or homelite. However the engine is still a long ways away.

stevblutu15 03-09-2007 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Day 7 of the build ends with the basic skeleton done. I had a minor setback as some 2 of the high stress joints came undone but not a problem -all fixed up. I plan on starting on the bottom tomorrow. I fear i may have made another design error- well not an error but a learning experience lol. I now see why people building dont encorporate the stakes into the bulkheads. Planking the bottom will be a challenge, but im up to it.

Pics:

stevblutu15 03-11-2007 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started planking the bottom :days 10-11 not much but it's something.