RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Need some help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5606925-need-some-help.html)

NJ Georgee 03-23-2007 07:32 PM

Need some help

1 Attachment(s)
If you install a nitro engine is there a transmission that you use in order to idle still or to go in reverse or do they only have direct drive? I cant seem to find much on building a nitro boat.Theres alot of electric sites.
this is the boat I want to power.Can you put a couple of 15 la's in it as long as it has good ventalation or do they get to hot. Or how about car engines ?I know they make marine engines.I was just wondering.
But my main question is about transmissions if you use them. I dont even see them for sale.I was thinking mabey you could set it up with a traxas trans. thanks for helping.

Hydro Junkie 03-23-2007 08:00 PM

RE: Need some help

At this time, you can stop a boat by using a clutch, but you would be better off going electric if you want to look at stopping and backing up. The added weight of the clutch and required water pumped needed to keep the engine from overheating makes it more hassle than its worth

NJ Georgee 03-23-2007 08:08 PM

Oh ok,I just found the home web site for this model and they make an electric version and they claim it can run for 3 hours on a charge so thats not bad .I was under the impresion they only run for 5 minutes on a charge. I would rather go electric for the cleanlyness of it. I bet nitro boats realy polute.I heard that one drop of oil pollutes a million gallons of water?How true I dont know but if they spit out anything like my car,ican only feel for those fishies..lol.yeah electrics the way to go.now if I can only nail down two of those 1968 motors I found on ebay I would realy be good to go.This boat is from the 60s too.
Thanks

Ron Olson 03-24-2007 12:36 AM

Keep that boat electric, putting a nitro engine in there would be too much hassle and ruin the boats looks.

You've been reading stuff from the tree huggers haven't you!:D Think about all of the full-sized boats and what they dump into the waters. We use castor oil in nitro boats, really harmless in its natural state. Kids many years ago were given this by the spoonful.

NJ Georgee 03-24-2007 11:33 AM

Oh thats true I forgot those boat fuels have caster oil,Here I thought we over fished the ocean for cod.
To get cod liver oil for nitro fuels.I know my mom use to give me alot of that cod liver oil like I was a nitro car doing the 1/4 mile.I wounder when they made the switch to use caster oil.mabey around 1967?

lol

LtDoc 03-24-2007 02:52 PM

...Don't worry about it! Castor oil will produce the same results as codliver oil, if taken internally. Don't take my word for it, try it!
- 'Doc

(PLEASE! Do NOT take pictures.)

saleens7 03-24-2007 03:34 PM

thats a nice looking boat....what are the dimesions?

3 hours on a charge? thats hard to beleive....the longest ive seen a boat go on a single charge was a little less than an hour, and it was an rc battleship that used twin 540's and a lawnmower batt or something like that....

NJ Georgee 03-25-2007 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its a 34" long 11" wide and aprox; 8 to 11"deep depending where you measure from.
I may try selling these boats .But I can say they have this version in 4 sizes 64" long being the largest. I wish I had known this before getting this one. They are made in Giana I beleave. Im still waiting on my contact with the co. His operation can be seen on his web site. awsome,he has a large group of workers all wairing no shoes I hope due to the climate...lol I have a pic with my hand as to get a better idea of its size.

ernest2 03-25-2007 11:13 PM

that's a very nice looking boat!!! i have actually dreamed of building that boat:D where did you get that boat?
i think its better to power it with electric motors

NJ Georgee 03-26-2007 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The web site for these boats is www.qualitymodelboats.com If that dont work let me know The guy has an amazing process the sailing ships are realy nice. I just got done cutting out the rear deck to make a engine room. Its going to be a very tight squeze due to the fact they put a solid buldhead right behind the seating area you can see it in the pics. The wood is like steel I know this boat will take a beating.

NJ Georgee 03-30-2007 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How would this configuration work...lol