RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   non conductive soder ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5609019-non-conductive-soder.html)

hansvonpensch 03-24-2007 08:58 AM

non conductive soder ?

I am reading the label on the KESTER brand soder and it reads " its FLUX residue is completely noncorrosive and electrically non conductive. Does this mean the soder itself will not conduct electricty. If not I will want to buy some that will. Anyone that can help me, Thanks, Randy.

Jonjoe 03-24-2007 10:39 AM

RE: non conductive soder ?

I don't think it means that it isnt non conductive orelse thered be no point the best thing to do is to test it
Hope this helps
JJ:D

Jhoyoza 03-24-2007 11:45 AM

I doubt the solder itself is non-conductive. I think what they are trying to say is the residue will not cause shorts.

You may want to consider some strong glue or perhaps plastic hardware.

What is it you are trying to do?

-J

blizard05 03-24-2007 01:16 PM

For electrical work,use rosin core solder. Radio Shack 64-015-E. Also use rosin flux.

green-boat 03-24-2007 01:46 PM

What they are saying is that the FLUX is non conductive not the solder. Flux is a chemical that chemically cleans the metal when heated and allows the moten solder flow and get a good bond to the base metal. What you have there is a Rosin core solder, good for electrical work and other things. There is another type of solder that is acid core, stay away from that stuff unless you want your soldered connections to get eaten up in due time.

TERBObob 03-25-2007 09:22 AM

Ok , everybody is saying it , but not out right and direct ..
FLUX , when heated , melts into a liquid form and spreads ALL over . Which , if it WAS conductive , it WOULD short out any nearby solder joints on a board with other electrical components if it were conductive . Flux does NOT disappear .. its that slimy greasy felling stuff left on solder joints . True , you CAN burn it all off , but , if you get your solder onnections that hot ... well , not sure your gonna have a run left there to solder to anyway .:eek:

Hydro Junkie 03-25-2007 05:21 PM

One other thing to look at is THE KIND OF SOLDER. Some solders, especially acid cores and silvers will stop being conductive over time. If you are looking at electrical work, stick with the above mentioned from Radio Shack or an ELECTRICAL SOLDER from the home centers or electrical supply houses.

revobreaker 03-29-2007 06:21 PM

greenboat has it right. im sure the solder you have will be fine. electrical solder is rosin core and older stuff is typically 60/40 (tin/lead ratio) to clean the rosin after your done you can use alcohol or special flux remover
btw im a electronic tech so i know what im talking about

hansvonpensch 03-29-2007 11:04 PM

You guys have been a lot of help, thanks for all the answers, Randy