RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   IMPBA or NAMBA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5665433-impba-namba.html)

weathervane 04-04-2007 04:36 PM

IMPBA or NAMBA

I generally fly my airplane but, I do like to run my r/c boat now and then (maybe 3-4 times a year). I generally like to run my boat while on vacation (on a lake). What are the pros and cons of IMPBA and NAMBA? I am not a member of a club and am not looking to join one (if I don't need to). I am really just looking for the insurance. Any suggestions????

-Andrew

piper_chuck 04-04-2007 04:50 PM

RE: IMPBA or NAMBA

If you have AMA for planes, you're already covered for boats, cars, and rockets.

weathervane 04-04-2007 06:21 PM

Yes this is true.
A club member that runs on the pond that I would like to run on said "only IMPBA and club members can use the pond". I told him about me having the AMA and he said it did not mater. I think with the pond owners permission and the right coverage I could run with out joining another club. I would also like to run on a lake in western MD when I go on vacation. I think the AMA will cover me their. I just want to be on the safe side where ever I run.

-Andrew

BUDMAN27 04-04-2007 08:41 PM

I was going to race my boat in a IMPBA race last year. I told the CD that I had AMA and he said that I could race. Well that was fine and dandy but someone found out that I didn,t have IMPBA so they complaind. So the CD told me that I couldn,t race unless I joind IMPBA. Man that made me mad.

piper_chuck 04-04-2007 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN27

I was going to race my boat in a IMPBA race last year. I told the CD that I had AMA and he said that I could race. Well that was fine and dandy but someone found out that I didn,t have IMPBA so they complaind. So the CD told me that I couldn,t race unless I joind IMPBA. Man that made me mad.
AMA membership is not acceptable to participate in a sanctioned IMPBA race.

piper_chuck 04-04-2007 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: weathervane

Yes this is true.
A club member that runs on the pond that I would like to run on said "only IMPBA and club members can use the pond". I told him about me having the AMA and he said it did not mater. I think with the pond owners permission and the right coverage I could run with out joining another club. I would also like to run on a lake in western MD when I go on vacation. I think the AMA will cover me their. I just want to be on the safe side where ever I run.

-Andrew
If you're going to run at an IMPBA club's pond, you should join IMPBA and the club. After all, the club is the one who did the work of getting permission to use the site, setting up things to run, maintaining bouys, etc. It's not particularly fair to try to go around them and seek special permission from the owner.

Umi_Ryuzuki 04-04-2007 09:48 PM

There are also some other insurance issues that come into play.
IMPBA, and NAMBA, may be insuring the club, and the land owner under additional policies.
So resticting the use and type of coverage may be dictated by those additional policies.

Any one can have a single day coverage for $10 dollars in NAMBA, I would imagine that
IMPBA may offer something similar. It doesn't hurt to ask....;)

BUDMAN27 04-05-2007 07:00 AM

That sounds fair

weathervane 04-05-2007 05:33 PM

I agree, I'm not trying to get around the rulles. I just want the best bang for my buck. I don't think the IMPBA will work for me. I need to be able to run on more than one pond/lake. If it takes joining both a club and the NAMBA, than so be it. I have no problem with that. I just want to be able to run a few times a year.

-Andrew

Most guys at the pond I want to run on race. They are allways changing props and trying new stuff. I just want to burn a tank or two of nitro now and then.