RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   what is better (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5884052-what-better.html)

ezflyer 05-21-2007 06:59 PM

what is better

i was wondering what would be better to use on a wooden crackerbox boat , epoxy or fiberglass and resin? i am new to rc boating. if the epoxy is better where can i buy it at. and how do you get it smooth. a step by step intruction from someone who has done it before would be greatly apreciated. the boat i am ordering is an easy v by the zipp company. the boat is a 46 inch hull. thanks charles

Flabum 05-21-2007 07:36 PM

RE: what is better

A slow curing epoxy such as West System from West Marine or any reputable marine supplier.;

http://www.westsystem.com/

LtDoc 05-21-2007 10:39 PM

Charles,
Which to use would depend on just how much 'strength' and weight you need or can put up with. Fibreglass, because of the material used, can be slightly heavier than just plain epoxy. It also tends to be stronger than just plain epoxy because of that 'extra' weight. Hell'of'a choice, huh? That 'extra' weight isn't measured in pounds, but fractions of an ounce. Not like it was a 'biggy'.
- 'Doc

(I hate fibreglass! Allergic to the stuff. Wish I wasn't.)

pompebled 05-22-2007 02:25 AM

In stead of the itchy fiberglass, I use thin glasscloth and epoxy to strenghten and waterproof a wooden hull.

I usually cut the glasscloth slightly oversized, making sure the keelline is diagonal to the weave of the glasscloth, for easy of applying.
Then I put on a first coat of epoxy, which will soak into the wood to a degree, depending on the wood used.
The glasscloth is put on the wet epoxy and tapped in place with a stiff brush, the epoxy on the hull should wet the cloth completely, if it's too dry, add a little epoxy, not too much, or it will get runny and cause a lot of work sanding it flat.

If the hull is smooth, no air trapped under the cloth, no folds at the edges, I let the epoxy cure until it's just tacky, then I mix a new quantity of epoxy and coat the surface once more.
Or, if you want two layers of glass, add the second layer into the wet epoxy and tap untill all is smooth again.

If you're satisfied with the result, let it cure completely, sand it lightly (don't damage the glass) and finish the hull with paint or varnish, as epoxy isn't UV resistant (over time it gets yellow and brittle).

On a wooden hull I usually only cover the bottom and sides with glasscloth, the deck only gets a few coats of epoxy and paint.

Regards, Jan.

ezflyer 05-22-2007 05:36 PM

thanks for the info. this is gona be my first build and i am a little nervous. i tend to overkill things untill i fully understand, thanks a bunch. yall will be hearing alot more of me, with all the beginer questions.

capn gary 05-26-2007 06:28 PM

Something that will help a little: After you've put the epoxy on and let it cure overnight (it really takes a full 24 hours for epoxy to cure, even the 'five minute' stuff), wash the hull, or whatever, with plain soap and water. Scrub it good, then rinse it with fresh water. THe epoxy leaves a sticky 'amine' on the surface, and that stuff will clog up sandpaper in a New York second. Personally, I like to watersand fiberglass. That tends to keep those nasty, invisible little shards out of your arms, hands, etc. It also helps to wear rubber surgical type gloves. One more thing--if you decide to water sand the new glass, use a bucket of water with just a little bit of detergent in it. It'll help keep the sandpaper from clogging up and wearing out quickly. Don't go cheap on the sandpaper, either. The cheap stuff you get at the hardware store is false economy. Better to buy 3M or Scotch paper. It's a little more expensive, but it lasts longer, and the folded edges resist crumbling like cheap paper does.

Hope that helps a little bit.